Music Banter - View Single Post - Funk Rock
Thread: Funk Rock
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2010, 09:50 PM   #70 (permalink)
Seltzer
Fish in the percolator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VocalsBass View Post
Come on Bro, the RHCP's are nothing more than 'noise' compared to real funk music and artist, they can get funky but I would in no way suggest that they are funk, they're not that good! lol..

That^is a good definition for describing Funk music.
Sorry, I meant funk rock (not funk). And like V&F says, funk (and especially funk rock) is inherently dirty and raw... once it becomes too slick, it's heading into disco territory. That's not to say that funk can't be smooth and well-produced as bands like Pleasure and the Brothers Johnson demonstrate - but even then, the funk is still undoubtedly there (see this track for example). That Kravitz video you posted strikes me a mildly groovy pop song and I don't see how you can consider him real funk while discounting RHCP who had songs like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violent & Funky View Post
Ah, the stuffy types like Pitchfork who deride the Chili Peppers for being obnoxious, attention whores who wanted fame too badly should really watch more clips like that one posted above. It's about the funk, and the attention (at least early on in their career) was part of their showmanship. It's what made them who they are. Somebody has to do it that way, and they are one of the best ever...
Pretty much... and while RHCP is hardly the be all and end all of funk it really annoys me when elitists proclaim that they're not the real thing and should therefore be shunned. Would people honestly prefer it if they'd become just another generic funk band stuck in the 70s instead of bringing something new to the table as they did?

Quote:
Originally Posted by right-track View Post
Try and ignore the dire video. It was the only one I could find apart from a live version, but the quality was nowhere near as good.
Turn up the volume, open another window and browse MB for the next 6 minutes instead...

Isley Brothers - Midnight Sky.
Amazing track.

Ah, the Isley Brothers are fantastic and that song is no exception.