Music Banter - View Single Post - Cultural Identity
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2010, 08:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
duga
MB quadrant's JM Vincent

I feel I belong to a unique group of individuals referred to as "Third Culture Kids". It's basically defined as someone who grew up in a culture different than their own, integrating both the foreign culture and the culture of their birth into a third culture. I grew up in Singapore and to be completely honest, I feel more Asian than I do American. There isn't a whole lot I enjoy about being American, but I'll try to cover both.

As for my southern American side, I enjoy long road trips, the scenic diversity, big cities like Chicago and the pizza in them, the movies we make (though in recent years the majority of movies have sucked), southern hospitality, fried foods, and the blues.

As for my Singaporean side I enjoy the ethnic diversity, the Singaporean accent, Asian food of all kinds, cab rides, the tropical weather, the clean city, little kids running around without parents at 3 in the morning, Tiger beer, a great electronic scene and the clubs to go with them, bootleg dvd's and video games, being close enough to all the countries in southeast asia to be able to travel to them easily, the beach...generally just everything about Singapore is great to me.