Music Banter - View Single Post - The Importance of Technical Skill
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2010, 03:25 PM   #30 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritter View Post
The first part was sort of exciting 7:49-7:53. The second part was sort of exciting 2:43-2:46 and 3:50-3:55 and moments that sounded like those ones. I guess his improvisation is impressive and this song is more exciting than anything on Kind of Blue, which is the only jazz record I've listened to. Well not so much listened to as heard as background music, since I didn't find anything about it striking or memorable. After listening to "Chasin' the Trane," I can remember 2:43-2:46 and 3:50-3:55 from part 2 clearly in my mind, but that's it. For me, an exciting song is captivating for most of that song, and also organized, because then I can get into the feel of the song more easily. Basically I like songs to have some pop appeal. But I understand how the improvisation and unpredictability found in a lot of jazz makes it exciting for some people.
If you've only ever listened to one jazz album in your life how can you possibly make sweeping statements about the entire, broad, generations-spanning genre?
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote