Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2010, 12:26 PM   #21 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Paedantic Basterd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: BC
Posts: 5,127
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritter View Post
I don't think it's that silly a question. Personally, I like a lot of music that exhibits attitude and catchy songwriting but little technical skill (so I think this is awesome). Also, some people don't care about good songwriting and creativity and end up listening to bull**** like Buckethead.
Hm. I mean, I lean towards songwriting ability myself, but I'm not terribly interested in something that requires no skill whatsoever. I suppose everyone's idea of "balance" will be different for everyone, so it's still an applicable opinion.
Paedantic Basterd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 01:03 PM   #22 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
fritter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 86
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seltzer View Post
That's a pretty good description of Coltrane's style. The way I see it, he simply has a lot to say (so to speak) and nothing to prove, whereas Petrucci still seems to be on his endless shredquest to bore everyone to death. Bit of a pity since I actually like some of his riffs on Train of Thought.
I'm not exactly into jazz, but virtuosity seems more of a good thing in jazz than it is in rock. Since jazz doesn't have much inherent force or power in its music compared to rock, dazzling skill seems like a good way to improve the effect the music has. Whereas in metal it's just showing off and weighs the music down.
__________________
(that weird meatball-looking thing in my avatar is an apple fritter)
Some songs I made: Yo Mama Tom-Toms
fritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 01:35 PM   #23 (permalink)
Basscadet
 
Dayvan Cowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Antarctica
Posts: 1,242
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritter View Post
I'm not exactly into jazz, but virtuosity seems more of a good thing in jazz than it is in rock. Since jazz doesn't have much inherent force or power in its music compared to rock, dazzling skill seems like a good way to improve the effect the music has. Whereas in metal it's just showing off and weighs the music down.


so many things wrong here.
__________________
I AM A DEAF CON OF ANGORA GOATS
Dayvan Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 01:39 PM   #24 (permalink)
wasting my youth online
 
Chubbysailorvenus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: bum**** nowhere
Posts: 987
Default

A journalist once said about the Cows that they definitely knew how to play their insturments, they just refused to tune them. This applies to almost all of my favorite music.....
Chubbysailorvenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 02:05 PM   #25 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
fritter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 86
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayvan Cowboy View Post
so many things wrong here.
Okay, if I'm wrong then show me jazz that's exciting, and complex progressive metal that doesn't show off to the point of getting dull.
__________________
(that weird meatball-looking thing in my avatar is an apple fritter)
Some songs I made: Yo Mama Tom-Toms

Last edited by fritter; 10-03-2010 at 02:12 PM.
fritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 02:12 PM   #26 (permalink)
Veritas vos liberabit
 
Jedey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Musicapolis
Posts: 477
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritter View Post
Okay, if I'm wrong then show me jazz that's exciting and complex progressive metal that doesn't show off to the point of getting dull.
Here's some exciting Jazz for you. John Coltrane ~ "Chasin' The Trane"

__________________
My Tunes
Jedey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 02:40 PM   #27 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
fritter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 86
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedey View Post
Here's some exciting Jazz for you. John Coltrane ~ "Chasin' The Trane"
The first part was sort of exciting 7:49-7:53. The second part was sort of exciting 2:43-2:46 and 3:50-3:55 and moments that sounded like those ones. I guess his improvisation is impressive and this song is more exciting than anything on Kind of Blue, which is the only jazz record I've listened to. Well not so much listened to as heard as background music, since I didn't find anything about it striking or memorable. After listening to "Chasin' the Trane," I can remember 2:43-2:46 and 3:50-3:55 from part 2 clearly in my mind, but that's it. For me, an exciting song is captivating for most of that song, and also organized, because then I can get into the feel of the song more easily. Basically I like songs to have some pop appeal. But I understand how the improvisation and unpredictability found in a lot of jazz makes it exciting for some people.
__________________
(that weird meatball-looking thing in my avatar is an apple fritter)
Some songs I made: Yo Mama Tom-Toms

Last edited by fritter; 10-03-2010 at 02:52 PM.
fritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 02:54 PM   #28 (permalink)
nothing
 
mr dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: everywhere
Posts: 4,287
Default

you can't have one without the other.

just like you need to learn the rules before you can break the rules - you need to learn technical chops before you can forget them.

anyone who tries to tell you different has either never actually picked up an instrument or sounds like a combination of every single sample they've ever managed to get their hands on and absolutely nothing of their own voice.


as for the current 'find me jazz that's exciting, and metal that isn't boring' crap, stop whining about being covered in crap if you refuse to stop crawling. they aren't styles meant to be spoonfed to passive listeners. either you step up and find what strikes your soul or you get the hell out of the way.
__________________
i am the universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandteacher1 View Post
I type whicked fast,
http://www.myspace.com/wallofpanda (updated 06/28/09-ish)
mr dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 03:20 PM   #29 (permalink)
Basscadet
 
Dayvan Cowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Antarctica
Posts: 1,242
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
as for the current 'find me jazz that's exciting, and metal that isn't boring' crap, stop whining about being covered in crap if you refuse to stop crawling. they aren't styles meant to be spoonfed to passive listeners. either you step up and find what strikes your soul or you get the hell out of the way.
the best part is, fritter's the guy that told me that I listen to too much bizarre hipster crap.
__________________
I AM A DEAF CON OF ANGORA GOATS
Dayvan Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 03:25 PM   #30 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,028
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritter View Post
The first part was sort of exciting 7:49-7:53. The second part was sort of exciting 2:43-2:46 and 3:50-3:55 and moments that sounded like those ones. I guess his improvisation is impressive and this song is more exciting than anything on Kind of Blue, which is the only jazz record I've listened to. Well not so much listened to as heard as background music, since I didn't find anything about it striking or memorable. After listening to "Chasin' the Trane," I can remember 2:43-2:46 and 3:50-3:55 from part 2 clearly in my mind, but that's it. For me, an exciting song is captivating for most of that song, and also organized, because then I can get into the feel of the song more easily. Basically I like songs to have some pop appeal. But I understand how the improvisation and unpredictability found in a lot of jazz makes it exciting for some people.
If you've only ever listened to one jazz album in your life how can you possibly make sweeping statements about the entire, broad, generations-spanning genre?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.