Music Banter - View Single Post - The Importance of Technical Skill
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2010, 05:00 PM   #32 (permalink)
fritter
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
If you've only ever listened to one jazz album in your life how can you possibly make sweeping statements about the entire, broad, generations-spanning genre?
I don't mind it but it always bores me. Since I've heard jazz songs outside that album and they always bore me, why wouldn't I assume the entire genre would bore me? I know enough about jazz in general to make that sweeping assumption. I was in school band playing percussion in MS and HS, and I went to a few Jazz Band practices in 9th grade then realized it was all boring me so much I didn't want to be a part of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
as for the current 'find me jazz that's exciting, and metal that isn't boring' crap, stop whining about being covered in crap if you refuse to stop crawling. they aren't styles meant to be spoonfed to passive listeners. either you step up and find what strikes your soul or you get the hell out of the way.
I didn't ask to find me "metal that isn't boring." I wasn't talking about metal in general, I was talking about progressive metal with lots of technicality and complex instrumentation. One of my friends shows me enough of it for me to have an informed opinion about it. It's really annoying you're assuming I'm a passive listener just because I expect music to get my attention without me forcing it to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayvan Cowboy View Post
the best part is, fritter's the guy that told me that I listen to too much bizarre hipster crap.
There's no contradiction caused by what I've said here and how I said you listened to too much bizarre hipster crap. Maybe I should have said "weird hipster stuff." Is that better?

Last edited by fritter; 10-03-2010 at 05:07 PM.
fritter is offline   Reply With Quote