Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2010, 04:21 PM   #31 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
DevonWilliams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 110
Default

To me it doesn't really matter because I don't listen to a lot of hard rock or metal.

Although I do listen to quite a bit of techno (Mostly remixes/mashups) so there is times when it really matters.
__________________
The hood is a lie
DevonWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:00 PM   #32 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
fritter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 86
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
If you've only ever listened to one jazz album in your life how can you possibly make sweeping statements about the entire, broad, generations-spanning genre?
I don't mind it but it always bores me. Since I've heard jazz songs outside that album and they always bore me, why wouldn't I assume the entire genre would bore me? I know enough about jazz in general to make that sweeping assumption. I was in school band playing percussion in MS and HS, and I went to a few Jazz Band practices in 9th grade then realized it was all boring me so much I didn't want to be a part of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr dave View Post
as for the current 'find me jazz that's exciting, and metal that isn't boring' crap, stop whining about being covered in crap if you refuse to stop crawling. they aren't styles meant to be spoonfed to passive listeners. either you step up and find what strikes your soul or you get the hell out of the way.
I didn't ask to find me "metal that isn't boring." I wasn't talking about metal in general, I was talking about progressive metal with lots of technicality and complex instrumentation. One of my friends shows me enough of it for me to have an informed opinion about it. It's really annoying you're assuming I'm a passive listener just because I expect music to get my attention without me forcing it to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayvan Cowboy View Post
the best part is, fritter's the guy that told me that I listen to too much bizarre hipster crap.
There's no contradiction caused by what I've said here and how I said you listened to too much bizarre hipster crap. Maybe I should have said "weird hipster stuff." Is that better?
__________________
(that weird meatball-looking thing in my avatar is an apple fritter)
Some songs I made: Yo Mama Tom-Toms

Last edited by fritter; 10-03-2010 at 05:07 PM.
fritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:06 PM   #33 (permalink)
Basscadet
 
Dayvan Cowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Antarctica
Posts: 1,242
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritter View Post
There's no contradiction caused by what I've said here and how I said you listened to too much bizarre hipster crap.
Just all of the things you say make you sound more ignorant by the second.
__________________
I AM A DEAF CON OF ANGORA GOATS
Dayvan Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:14 PM   #34 (permalink)
Goes back & does it again
 
OctaneHugo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: philadelphia
Posts: 806
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritter View Post
I don't mind it but it always bores me. Since I've heard jazz songs outside that album and they always bore me, why wouldn't I assume the entire genre would bore me? I know enough about jazz in general to make that sweeping assumption. I was in school band playing percussion in MS and HS, and I went to a few Jazz Band practices in 9th grade then realized it was all boring me so much I didn't want to be a part of it.
Because, git, when you're hearing 14-year-olds playing jazz music it doesn't represent fu‎cking Coltrane, Davis or Kirk. And if you think it does, kindly keep your braindead opinions out of your posts. Of course, there's also the matter of age - if the last time you actually listened to jazz was 9th grade and you're now 24-years-old, you're just being a stubborn a‎sshole. You might know some names but you don't know the music.

Quote:
I didn't ask to find me "metal that isn't boring." I wasn't talking about metal in general, I was talking about progressive metal with lots of technicality and complex instrumentation. One of my friends shows me enough of it for me to have an informed opinion about it. It's really annoying you're assuming I'm a passive listener just because I expect music to get my attention without me forcing it to.
What you consider an informed opinion would probably be considered very little knowledge by many people. When your only contact with a genre is 10th grade jazz band or a friend showing you songs they like, you don't have an "informed opinion". Until you go out and actively fu‎cking participate, you know sh‎it about music. Go find some jazz or some prog metal and give it a listen, if you like it find more of it, read about it. Soak up information. Don't rely on outside sources for your musical opinions because then you're not bloody better than someone who listens to everything except rap and country.
__________________

If Any Major Dude Has Yet To Tell You, Click Here
OctaneHugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:14 PM   #35 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: -_-_-_-_~__~-~_-`_`-~_-`-~-~
Posts: 1,276
Default

Anybody who actually is so absorbed by the made-up media-fueled "Pitchfork Age" that they see 'bizarre hipster crap' as a valid musical insult seriously needs to rethink their approach to music, as it comes off terribly arrogant and misinformed. Anytime I see the words "pretentious" or "hipster garbage" in a review or statement of some kind, I immediately stop reading it 90% of the time.

Also, jazz standards that you're forced to play in school bands will ruin the genre for you unless you make it your goal to experience more of the genre; Upon playing standards from boring modern "I want money so here's a 12-bar-blues jazz piece" composers, I finally gave the real genre a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OctaneHugo View Post
Because, git, when you're hearing 14-year-olds playing jazz music it doesn't represent fu‎cking Coltrane, Davis or Kirk.
Aw you beat me =(
clutnuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:15 PM   #36 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,028
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritter View Post
I don't mind it but it always bores me. Since I've heard jazz songs outside that album and they always bore me, why wouldn't I assume the entire genre would bore me?
Because it's a massively diverse genre that's been around for nearly a century.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritter View Post
I know enough about jazz in general to make that sweeping assumption. I was in school band playing percussion in MS and HS, and I went to a few Jazz Band practices in 9th grade then realized it was all boring me so much I didn't want to be a part of it.
A couple 9th grade jazz band practices isn't any kind of meaningful exposure to jazz.

What you're saying here is basically like saying you've heard one Beatles album and covered a couple Elton John songs in a high school marching band so you're well informed in your opinion that rock music is boring.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:30 PM   #37 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
fritter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 86
Default

Okay, you win, I'll stop saying ignorant things.

From here on out it would be nice if posts went back to being on the topic of the discussion.
__________________
(that weird meatball-looking thing in my avatar is an apple fritter)
Some songs I made: Yo Mama Tom-Toms

Last edited by fritter; 10-03-2010 at 05:57 PM. Reason: grammatical error
fritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:34 PM   #38 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: -_-_-_-_~__~-~_-`_`-~_-`-~-~
Posts: 1,276
Default

You mean you can't defend your ignorant opinions that have no foundation so you pull the ol' sarcastic "You win!"? Excellent! But indeed, back to the topic.
clutnuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:10 PM   #39 (permalink)
Master Of Muzak
 
Anteater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Somewhere swarthy
Posts: 4,084
Default

Poor fritter...you got totally raped here. This is why it's not good to generalize things you don't know much about.

As for whether or not technicality is really important to music...I suppose it depends on what you want to do in music. There are musicians out there who have been playing 40+ years or more and still can't produce a whole lot of interesting or memorable music, while there are people who start off from nothing who manage to do some rather interesting stuff. It can work both ways!

To put it another way, technical skill can give you the means to innovate a genre or make some rather ear-catching ideas a reality, especially if have experience in actually writing songs. On the other hand, many skilled and unskilled musicians alike are content to stick to their pleasant and well-tread singer/songwriter fare and leave it at that, and listeners don't seem to care either way.

Hence, whether or not technicality is important depends entirely on the music itself, and needs to be treated on a case-by-case kind of basis. You wouldn't want to try covering something like Yes's Siberian Khatru when the only song you know how to play on guitar is Smoke on the Water right?

A song with thirty time changes and twenty minutes to burn can be just as interesting and meaningful as your favorite Smiths song, and that's the simple truth of the matter.
__________________
My Top 30 Albums of 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
You can't blame the Jews for everything...just most things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
Trump might be the best thing since free jazz.

Last edited by Anteater; 10-03-2010 at 09:41 PM.
Anteater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:24 PM   #40 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 64
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteater View Post
Hence, whether or not technicality is important depends entirely on the music itself, and needs to be treated on a case-by-case kind of basis. You wouldn't want to try covering something like Yes's Siberian Khatru when the only song you know how to play on guitar is Smoke on the Water right?
Quoted for truth. I couldn't have said it better myself.
__________________
"Colleges are like old-age homes, except for the fact that more people die in colleges."

Last.FM
Jonny Redshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.