Music Banter - View Single Post - The problems with homosexuality
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2010, 10:59 PM   #459 (permalink)
Consolator
¬¬!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
One more comment about your post. You said you felt that homosexuality makes little sense biologically. However, homosexual people can and DO have their own biological children, so the argument that natural selection would work against homosexuality isn't entirely valid, I feel. It is entirely possible for people to engage in sexual activity that is not "in line" with their core sexual feelings; so, people who are homosexual *can* have sex with someone of the opposite sex. Evidence: "There were an estimated 300,000 to 500,000 gay and lesbian biological parents in 1976" in the U.S. (Gay Parents - How Many Children Have Gay Parents in the US?).

Similarly, people who feel heterosexual can be sexual with someone of the same sex. People who are heterosexual can also have sex and children with an opposite-sexed partner for whom they do not feel a strong sexual or psychological pull.

I in no way wish to imply that anyone *should* have children, just that homosexuality doesn't necessarily prevent people from having children, if they want children. My point is that sexual orientation does not always equate with sexual behavior, and natural selection has selected humans with the ability to develop a wide range of sexual feelings and behaviors. Perhaps the reproductive advantages of this plasticity results in the ability of species such as ours to have members who are homosexual, bi, and heterosexual.
You're right that someone who is gay *could* reproduce, but it would not go along with their instinctual desires to be with the same sex. That's more along the lines of what Dr. Bloom meant, I think. Reproductive technologies such as artificial insemination are something that are relatively recent, the evolution argument is more for past eras of history. His entire point was that sexual orientation is not a choice one makes, it has been around for a very, very long time, and it isn't going away any time soon. My first post my have been worded a bit strangely, I apologize.
Consolator is offline   Reply With Quote