Music Banter - View Single Post - The problems with homosexuality
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2010, 07:48 PM   #479 (permalink)
RVCA
( ̄ー ̄)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeveuxleson View Post
If we find that homosexuality is in fact genetic, is it ethically wrong to force people to become 'straight'? Not necessarily a mentality of arousal/attraction, as you mention above, but it's merely a 'defect' as it would be classified. It's physical proof, not mental, that homosexuality can be isolated, should we as a society eliminate this? Or is that genocide, much like Hitler and his 'Super-race'?

I mean, I'm all for the idea of 'weeding out.' However, I am for the fact of 'Live and let live.' So I'd be torn. But if I truly had a choice, I think I'd vote against it, being a gay man myself. Yet, I just want the best for the society as a whole. And if they truly believe that I am a nuisance, I don't want to become the problem. I don't want my life as hell because I'm a 'genetic mutant.' I think it sort of boils down to having a genetic condition... in a sense. Like down syndrome.
As has been mentioned in this thread already, homosexuality runs perpendicular to procreation. It seems unnatural, if you view one of our primary goals in life as copulating and spreading our genes. In light of that, I suppose a case could be made that for the survival of humanity, we must eliminate homosexuality, but that seems rather dramatic.

Personally, if we ever developed a method of eliminating homosexuality from the gene pool, I'd consider its use unethical, but I'm having trouble articulating my logic for feeling this way.

Quote:
This is all hypothetical of course, there is NO proof yet of homosexuality being genetic. This just comes to show that we know so little about, and therefore we shouldn't react harshly towards it. (i.e. Banning gay marriage, exile, etc.)
I've never researched it myself, but my Psychology professor recently told our class of 800 people that "every day, we find more and more evidence that your sexuality is determined either before birth or shortly after."
RVCA is offline   Reply With Quote