Music Banter - View Single Post - Dylanistic - Hip Hop
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2010, 09:01 AM   #25 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan View Post
Hey thanks for the write up Vega (can I call you that? it sounds cool, like some kind of forbidden planet on star trek).
Sure! No problem. Just don't call me Suzanne!

Quote:
The artwork is actually for another project I'm working on and was drawn by a very talented artist friend of mine.

I took your advice about lowering the vocals in the mix and It did make a big difference with how I percieve the song. Much better now.
The new version does make the instrumentals stand out more. I hear more of the details, like that lovely gong sound.

Quote:
As for the singing, I do plan on re-recording certain parts, but on the whole I just decided to forget about it. I'm not a good singer and I don't think any amount of training will fix that very soon, but I figure as long as I'm being honest about my voice I'm making music with the kind of integrity I personally enjoy, and hope that honesty will come across to the audience.
You can always come back to the vocals and re-record if the mood strikes you. I'm always wishing to get back to mine and re-record because I'm so aware of all the ways I want to improve them, but sometimes it is nice just to sing a song and not care overly much about whether it is "perfect" or not. At least your voice didn't crack anywhere! I hate when that happens when I sing. I do want to know how to control my voice better, though, to get it to do what I want, rather than it controlling me by limiting the sounds I can get.

I agree with you about the integrity part. I think the problem occurs when voice idiosyncracies make it harder for listeners to focus on the song because they start analyzing the singer's voice.

Quote:
I remixed the song, and this time I removed the short rap verse and replaced it with some Indian instrumentaion.
This change made the song seem much shorter and gentler!
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote