Music Banter - View Single Post - The American Football Thread
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2010, 05:05 PM   #719 (permalink)
Dirty
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrice View Post
No, only cheap shots, and by that I don't mean any big hits. Just blatant injurious hits, diving forearms to the head, late blindside hits on QB etc...
I can agree with that.

theres no rooms in the nfl for purposely trying to seriously injure guys... I want to see how the rest of this year plays out with injuries though. If players start going low on a lot more hits, i think we will naturally see more serious knee injuries. Which are a lot more serious than concussions in terms of missing games in a career (concussions are more serious post-career and I'm not saying knee injuries are worse in the long scheme of things).

You look at a lot of paralyzing hits and serious neck injuries too... A lot of them aren't an offensive player getting hit by the defense helmet-to-helmet. A lot of times its a helmet to the chest or something that snaps the neck. We saw it with the kid from Rutgers last week where he became paralyzed from the waist down.

It's like... i agree on suspending dirty players. but the game just happens so fast. we have the slow motion and replays and stuff.. and even on tv, it doesn't look as fast as it really is (ever seen footage from right down on the sideline? Unbelievably fast - same with basketball if you sit courtside). It's all instincts and reaction and i think its a little unfair for the NFL, in the middle of a season, to just say they are gonna start suspending guys for playing too rough. I'm not talking about dirty hits like Meriweather's hit on Heap this week... I mean guys like Dunta Robinson this week crushing DeSean Jackson. It wasn't a dirty play, it was just brutal and both guys got injured. He wasn't out to maim him, he wasnt even aiming for his head. I know guys are eventually gonna start re-training themselves in the way they approach hitting players, but to ask them to do it mid-season when they've been playing a certain way their whole lives is ridiculous
Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote