Music Banter - View Single Post - Should US Legalize Marijuana?
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2010, 04:14 PM   #420 (permalink)
Dirty
Account Disabled

I think here's the big issue... America is based off the premise of being the 'land of the free.' Millions and millions of people migrated here for different freedoms that their homelands didn't provide.

So to me, it doesn't make sense that the 'land of the free' doesn't allow an individual to do something that is not harmful to others. Or even really harmful to themselves depending on how the marijuana is smoked/eaten.

Right now, a lot of the older politicans came from the era where marijuana was associated with communism and other negative things... As the years roll on, it's inevitable that marijuana will eventually be legalized, but it's going to take the older generations dying off or losing power for it to happen. But just the voting on Prop 19 is a big step towards it. It's just a matter of time, hopefully sooner than later.

None of the arguments against weed really make sense. Know why it's a 'gateway drug'? It's because people who smoke weed eventually get harder drugs pushed on them or offered to them by their weed dealers. In Amsterdam, the percentage of people into heavy drugs is less than it is here, and they have marijuana legal. Because they've seperated marijuana from harder drugs. You don't have dealers pushing weed AND coke or heroin.

Pretty much everyone thinks it should be legalized on every message board I've posted on. I've always been interested in the prison systems and such, and after taking a few courses I realize how negative of an impact the illegalization of weed has on society as a whole. Prisons are already over-crowded, mixing dangerous criminals with drug offenders. This leads to criminals getting released early due to good behavior and stuff, cause they need all the prison space they can get. There's thousands and thousands of people filling our jails for nothing other than marijuana offenses.

Even if it weren't legalized, and just decriminalized, the government wouldn't have to waste tax dollars on the 'war on drugs.' A 'war' which has failed. Billions of dollars go towards destroying marijuana fields and catching those who grow it in mass. Of course, it doesn't help that the government spends millions every year creating false propoganda like Above the Influence campaigns.
Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote