Music Banter - View Single Post - Is Meat Really Murder?
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2010, 03:35 PM   #759 (permalink)
Freebase Dali
Partying on the inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violent & Funky View Post
I was thinking about this the other day: apparently we as humans are not a "superior" species when compared to animals, as several of you have been so clear to communicate while scolding Dirty. Yet, we humans have people choosing not to eat meat, something that we as a species have been doing for thousands of years since our evolution and as omnivores were doing in nature before civilization. Other animals don't make conscious decisions to change their diets because of its positive effect on the environment or whatever. So then, how can that go both ways? How are we not therefore a superior species?
Animals don't need to make a conscious decision to change their diets because their nature doesn't have a negative effect on the environment or life as a whole. Why would they need to improve on that?
We, on the other hand, have the ability to make conscious decisions regarding our world and we still fuck it up constantly. Doesn't sound like superiority to me. Sounds a lot like stupidity. And I'll be the first one to admit being part of it.
When our species begins doing a better job at supporting life on this planet than the natural balance outside our influence, then you can claim superiority. Until then, all this human superiority crap is just ego being blown out of our asses because we're too self absorbed to handle the idea that our little talents aren't the end all be all of anything but our own self gratification circle jerk.
Freebase Dali is offline   Reply With Quote