Music Banter - View Single Post - Mr Tom Petty
Thread: Mr Tom Petty
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2010, 11:30 AM   #24 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VocalsBass View Post
I watched him on TV last week and realized that I hate his music just about as much as I hate his 'Bob Dylan' sounding voice.
I will admit though, I love to drink beer with my friends and see who can do the best imitation of Petty's voice, while his music is playing over the stereo.
There are always a couple of (drunk) idiots willing to give it their best shot.
You...you don't like Tom Petty? (Sniff!)

Okay, I agree his voice isn't conventionally nice. But don't you like the kind of serious undertone in some of the songs? And there is a lot in them musically!

My Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers tape used to keep me alive back in the 90s when I had to drive for 12 hours across Nebraska. His music...and the wind in my face...helped keep me from falling asleep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by downwardspiral View Post
the only song i'm aware of is american girl, with the heartbreakers. i love that tune though.
"American Girl" is my favorite song of theirs. I think I first heard it in the movie Silence of the Lambs. The song feels so buoyant! I love this song, probably because I relate to it and I feel it has a great sound:

Mmmm. I love the guitars. And the lyrics interest me. I could listen to this song again and again. And you can do exactly that when you are driving across Nebraska!

I also like "You got lucky." I like how it transitions from minor to major to give the feeling of the song. Again, I really like the guitar playing, both the rhythm guitar and the solo guitar. I feel the song has a lot of variety despite heavy repetition. I like listening to the percussion's details, for example, and the overlap of different rhythms that merge together so nicely in the song.

Honorable mentions are also "Free Fallin'," "Don't come around here no more," and "I won't back down."

Aww, shoot, I'll go ahead and post "Don't come around here no more," since Downwardspiral says he's not aware of any Petty songs besides "American Girl," and since, like Goblin Tears, I always loved this song with its twangy notes, the echo of the percussion, and the buildup to the "Heys."
The song has a great feeling of rushing to me. I like the slight changes that occur throughout the song; it evolves, even as it stays the same. I like how the song feels slow but also excited, especially near the end when the beat picks up. The lyrics are a bit simple, but, hey! Sometimes I get chills during the "Heys," and I like that more than complex lyrics, I guess. I admit Tom Petty's voice is an acquired taste! But I've acquired it.

If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"

Last edited by VEGANGELICA; 11-12-2010 at 11:56 AM.
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote