Music Banter - View Single Post - The problems with homosexuality
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2010, 08:41 PM   #544 (permalink)
ThePhanastasio
Killed Laura Palmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toao View Post
When someone announces they're gay in a public situation, I sometimes say "really, well I like women with big tits." They stated their preference, I stated mine. People in normal polite conversation don't announce the type of sex they like.

Imagine if the moral majority did it?

"Well I like women that have a look on their face like they're being tortured and feel ashamed"

If two guys are shacked up, who cares. You should be able to extend your assets & benefits to anyone you chose.
That's unbelievably dumb. I know very few members of the gay community who will just shout their sexual preference willy nilly. It tends to be in some sort of context. For example, if I've just met a guy, and he asks me if I have a boyfriend, if it's a typical person at the store or something, I'll just say no and go on about my day. If it's at a party or something of the sort, I'll recognize that this is the guy asking to see if his advances will be returned, and I'll acknowledge that I'm not interested in guys.

If someone were at the party and overheard and exclaimed, "Oh, you're gay?! Well, I like women with big tits!" that would be completely uncalled for.

Also, even heterosexual people often state their sexual orientation in CONTEXT, although it doesn't come up as much. If a member of the same sex happened to be flirting with a heterosexual, the response tends to be, "Oh, I'm straight..."

Further, people who are being openly gay in pride events, organizations and the like are often not just out to make you uncomfortable or anything like that. A much smaller percentage of the population identifies as homosexual, so I can see where some people who identify as such might feel that they need to broadcast a little more to find a potential dating partner.

As a heterosexual person, you'd not really have so much trouble with this. If you're interested in a girl and she happens to be gay, her response isn't going to be beating the crap out of you because you're straight and she thinks straight people are disgusting sins against God. The worst she's going to do is probably apologetically say that she's straight. The same goes for girls attempting to seduce gay men. An apologetic, "I'm sorry, but I'm gay..." is the worst that's going to happen.

If the tables, however, are turned, and a gay male were to mistakenly hit on a straight man, that can lead to all sorts of problems. I've seen this end in violence or verbal abuse on many occasions, and I think it's understandable that members of the LGBT community often decide to be wary. If someone is broadcasting their orientation a little more aggressively, that makes them *safe* to hit on and attempt to date. It's more necessary within the gay community than outside of it.

Even with that said, it's still not horribly prevalent. And also with that said, I've not known anyone to walk around with a sign above their head proclaiming that they're gay; it's usually through wearing a t-shirt of a Pride organization, a rainbow bracelet, frequenting a gay bar, or something of the sort.
ThePhanastasio is offline   Reply With Quote