Music Banter - View Single Post - Gothic Americana/ Alt-Country/ Dark Cabaret
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2010, 01:55 AM   #331 (permalink)
oldcrowprophet
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berni View Post
I've been mulling this over and am coming up blank. What is the literary counterpart - stuff like Poe, Lovecraft, etc.? If I were writing it I think I would look at the development over time. Why are you excluding that trope?
I'm actually reconsidering that as my topic. I first dismissed it based on a few articles I'd read that attempted to describe this music, name dropping, brief history, etc. So, I thought I'd leave that alone.
Now, however, I realize it wasn't given the proper attention it deserved. One article actually said the lead singer/songwriter for 16HP and WH was Eugene Oliver Davis, or something far off like that. Most articles leave out so much. They usually start with Nick Cave or 16 Horsepower but I believe it goes so much further. Unfortunetly, I'm running out of time, so I hope to not fall into the same trap as others attempting this.

I'd say the closest literary counterpart are those authors plus quite a few more. Faulkner, O'Connor, Crews, McCarthy, too name a few (because those are the books sitting in front of me). Nick Cave has two books, which I haven't read yet. Jay Munly has even written one (two?) but, I can't find a copy anywhere.
oldcrowprophet is offline   Reply With Quote