Music Banter - View Single Post - Aural Fixation- Gavin B.'s Music Blog
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2010, 10:13 AM   #245 (permalink)
Gavin B.
Model Worker

Noteworthy Artists from International Pop Music Scene

Lana Mir is a Ukrainian singer whose debut album was released in August

Quote:
Today's post is devoted to the music of three lesser known artists from the international indie pop music scene. Scarboro Aquarium Club has been around for nearly a decade, Melpone Mene was formed about five years ago and Lana Mir's debut album was released three months ago. All three artists have tremendous musical potential.

Scarboro Aquarium Club- Drinking the Poison

This beautiful song from the widely ignored Ontario based band, Scarboro Aquarium Club is one of my favorites. It sounds like a lost Roxy Music song from the early 70s. "Drinking the Poison" is about as close to perfection as pop music gets. The group only has two albums. SAR is fronted by a guy named Corey Schmidt but there are a number of female vocalists doing duty on the album as well.

The song embedded below is from Poisoned, their 2002 debut release. SAC made a second album in 2006 called Black Swan Days but I've never been able to find it online or at any retail or used record shop. I'm not sure if SAC is an operating band but I came across some unreleased studio tracks the band recorded in 2008 and those songs were magnificent. Poisoned is still available at Amazon in the cd format for $15.64 or as an MP3 download for $8.99. Poisoned is an essential album for fans of glam rock and especially fans of Bryan Ferry and Roxy Music.

==============================

Melpo Mene- Holes

Melpo Mene is yet another Swedish indie pop band. Sweden seems to be cultivating a limitless supply of talented musicians who are influenced by 60s era baroque pop bands like The Beach Boys, The Free Design, Sagittarius, and Parade. The band's rather offbeat name may be inspired by the goddess Melpomeni, who was the ancient Greek mythical muse for musicians.

================================

Lana Mir- I Wanna Be Adored

Lana Mir was born and raised in Kiev, Ukraine, and based now in New York. After coming to New York and stuggling to make ends meet, Ms. Mir found her way to a group of local musicians at a Russian-American cafe who taught her jazz and bossa nova, where she eventually secured a weekly gig. Her self produced video in which she langorously covers the Stone Roses' classic I Wanna Be Adored has received a modest amount of YouTube buzz, but the dozen original songs on her self titled debut album (released in August 2010) and Goodbye Girl EP (released in February 2010) are a showcase of her considerable talents as a singer/songwriter.

Last edited by Gavin B.; 11-19-2010 at 04:36 PM.
Gavin B. is offline   Reply With Quote