Music Banter - View Single Post - Member Picture Gallery
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2010, 04:39 PM   #15012 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
I don't see the relationship between having braces and losing personality. I got braces when i was in middle school or early highschool. They were a pain in the ass when I had them, but I am thankful that my parents paid the money to have them. I don't think it was really about being able to eat, it was about having nice teeth so i didn't look weird. I am very happy I got them cause now I have straight teeth
I don't like it when people's natural, healthy bodies are defined by society as "weird" and "in need of correction," Dirty. So, that's why I don't like the idea of braces for cosmetic reasons.

It's as if humans go out of their way to put each other down all the time...and even put their children down, too...instead of encouraging self-esteem that doesn't depend on appearance. Aren't British people known for not embracing braces? And yet they manage to lead semi-decent lives, don't they?

I also don't like it that braces for cosmetic reasons are so expensive and intrusive in a child's life. Thousands of dollars are spent to create the "perfect" smile, probably to emphasize that a family has wealth so that, the parents hope, doors are opened for the child in the future. Braces have become a status symbol, a way for wealthier classes to distinguishes themselves (or their children) from "commoners."

Since this is the member picture gallery, I thought I better post a picture, so here...you can see my teeth. I remember lying in bed in pain as a teenager after my braces were tightened...to achieve this picture. And I remember I hated my retainer. I finally rebelled and stopped wearing it when I was in college, so my teeth are slowly getting a little crooked again:

My teeth:

If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"

Last edited by VEGANGELICA; 11-22-2010 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Added my chompers
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote