Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > Community Center > Introductions
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2010, 03:52 PM   #15011 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 973
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
Is there a teeth alignment problem that doesn't show up when you smile? What happened?

It seems in the U.S. everyone gets braces, whether they really need them or not...a waste of lots of money and they hurt! I got braces and didn't really question it when I was 16. I had a gap between my front teeth. The orthodontist wanted to get rid of it. I'm sure I could have eaten just fine with a gap. And maybe it would have closed on its own over time.

Braces seem to get rid of personality, which I find a little sad. I didn't realize they can also make teeth problems worse!
I don't see the relationship between having braces and losing personality. I got braces when i was in middle school or early highschool. They were a pain in the ass when I had them, but I am thankful that my parents paid the money to have them. I don't think it was really about being able to eat, it was about having nice teeth so i didn't look weird. I am very happy I got them cause now I have straight teeth
Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 04:39 PM   #15012 (permalink)
Facilitator
 
VEGANGELICA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Where people kill 30 million pigs per year
Posts: 1,993
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
I don't see the relationship between having braces and losing personality. I got braces when i was in middle school or early highschool. They were a pain in the ass when I had them, but I am thankful that my parents paid the money to have them. I don't think it was really about being able to eat, it was about having nice teeth so i didn't look weird. I am very happy I got them cause now I have straight teeth
I don't like it when people's natural, healthy bodies are defined by society as "weird" and "in need of correction," Dirty. So, that's why I don't like the idea of braces for cosmetic reasons.

It's as if humans go out of their way to put each other down all the time...and even put their children down, too...instead of encouraging self-esteem that doesn't depend on appearance. Aren't British people known for not embracing braces? And yet they manage to lead semi-decent lives, don't they?

I also don't like it that braces for cosmetic reasons are so expensive and intrusive in a child's life. Thousands of dollars are spent to create the "perfect" smile, probably to emphasize that a family has wealth so that, the parents hope, doors are opened for the child in the future. Braces have become a status symbol, a way for wealthier classes to distinguishes themselves (or their children) from "commoners."

Since this is the member picture gallery, I thought I better post a picture, so here...you can see my teeth. I remember lying in bed in pain as a teenager after my braces were tightened...to achieve this picture. And I remember I hated my retainer. I finally rebelled and stopped wearing it when I was in college, so my teeth are slowly getting a little crooked again:

My teeth:

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan:
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"

Last edited by VEGANGELICA; 11-22-2010 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Added my chompers
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 04:49 PM   #15013 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Paedantic Basterd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: BC
Posts: 5,128
Default

Well, to be fair, it is correcting a dental problem that can potentially lead to poor oral health in the future. You can't know if you'll get impacted wisdom teeth when you're 10 years old (ie), so why risk it when you can do something to help ensure the health and longevity of your teeth when you're young? I see what you're saying, Vegan, but I don't think braces are on par with botox.
__________________
Paedantic Basterd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:04 PM   #15014 (permalink)
Facilitator
 
VEGANGELICA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Where people kill 30 million pigs per year
Posts: 1,993
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Well, to be fair, it is correcting a dental problem that can potentially lead to poor oral health in the future. You can't know if you'll get impacted wisdom teeth when you're 10 years old (ie), so why risk it when you can do something to help ensure the health and longevity of your teeth when you're young? I see what you're saying, Vegan, but I don't think braces are on par with botox.
I agree, Pedestrian, if there is a medical reason for braces, then I support them. But when they are put on a child for cosmetic reasons, that bothers me. Also, it doesn't make sense to me to slap expensive braces on almost every child just in case there will be problems later.

When I was a child, I didn't have any major teeth alignment problems, but I did have canine fangs and a gap between my front teeth. And eventually I had to have my two wisdom teeth removed anyway.

Doesn't it seem odd that humans have so many teeth alignment issues??? What other animal has all these problems with the mechanism they use to eat?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan:
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:52 PM   #15015 (permalink)
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 973
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
I don't like it when people's natural, healthy bodies are defined by society as "weird" and "in need of correction," Dirty. So, that's why I don't like the idea of braces for cosmetic reasons.

It's as if humans go out of their way to put each other down all the time...and even put their children down, too...instead of encouraging self-esteem that doesn't depend on appearance. Aren't British people known for not embracing braces? And yet they manage to lead semi-decent lives, don't they?

I also don't like it that braces for cosmetic reasons are so expensive and intrusive in a child's life. Thousands of dollars are spent to create the "perfect" smile, probably to emphasize that a family has wealth so that, the parents hope, doors are opened for the child in the future. Braces have become a status symbol, a way for wealthier classes to distinguishes themselves (or their children) from "commoners."

Since this is the member picture gallery, I thought I better post a picture, so here...you can see my teeth. I remember lying in bed in pain as a teenager after my braces were tightened...to achieve this picture. And I remember I hated my retainer. I finally rebelled and stopped wearing it when I was in college, so my teeth are slowly getting a little crooked again:

My teeth:

I just dont reject society's views like you do, seemingly with everything. I'd rather have nice looking, straight teeth than crooked teeth with gaps everywhere. One just looks better than the other. I definitely wouldn't be as confident smiling if I hadn't got braces when I was a young teen. The British are more known for having bad teeth than not embracing braces, but I suppose they are pretty much the same thing in different words. I don't think it has anything to do with wealth either. I think you are looking too much into it, I think a lot of parents just don't want their kids to grow up with ugly teeth. If you wanna respond and keep discussing it, we can move to another thread or something cause i can already hear the 'omg quit clogging up the pic thread!'
Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:21 PM   #15016 (permalink)
MB quadrant's JM Vincent
 
duga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,722
Default

omg quit clogging up the pic thread
__________________
Confusion will be my epitaph...
duga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:23 PM   #15017 (permalink)
.
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4,507
Default

I'll get this thread back on track.




This picture looks like the rapture...
someonecompletelyrandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:25 PM   #15018 (permalink)
MB quadrant's JM Vincent
 
duga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,722
Default

Yeah, your face is all..."sup, Jesus."
__________________
Confusion will be my epitaph...
duga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 07:11 PM   #15019 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Paedantic Basterd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: BC
Posts: 5,128
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
Doesn't it seem odd that humans have so many teeth alignment issues??? What other animal has all these problems with the mechanism they use to eat?
Wisdom teeth are just like our appendix and our goosebumps; leftovers from evolution. We used to have wider, broader jaws with flat molars for grinding plant matter. Animals have these redundant organs/bones/muscles as well. Ours just happen to be a pain in the arse.
__________________
Paedantic Basterd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 07:28 PM   #15020 (permalink)
MB quadrant's JM Vincent
 
duga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,722
Default

Ok, I was just joking before but seriously...enough of the teeth discussion.
__________________
Confusion will be my epitaph...
duga is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.