Music Banter - View Single Post - Gothic Americana/ Alt-Country/ Dark Cabaret
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2010, 01:34 AM   #345 (permalink)
thirtiesgirl
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcrowprophet View Post
Okay children,

My research paper is addressing a statement I read from a blog about the Denver, CO music scene. The title of the article is "The “Denver Sound,” long dead, makes room for lighter, noisier, funner genres in the scene".

I'm doing a quick investigation on whether or not the Denver Sound is truly dead. I'm spending quite a bit of time writing about how it's not just in Denver, though it arguablly started there. I have the majority of the article done, but feel it needs a bit more meat.
I'm curious to know how you think the "Denver sound" differs from other alt-country/Americana artists in general. The Mekons, one of the first bands to dabble with the alt-country sound in the '80s, were from the UK. Mainman Jon Langford took the alt-country sound even further with his solo work and his group the Waco Brothers, who have been recording in Chicago since 1995. Mekons member Sally Timms also released an alt-country album in '98. The Cowboy Junkies, another early contender in the alt-country scene (although obviously not so much any more), started recording in 1985 in Canada. Tarnation, who started recording in '93, were from San Francisco. The Be Good Tanyas and Jolie Holland are also from the Bay Area (although one could argue, I suppose, that the Tanyas and Holland are really more part of the new-grass scene than alt-country). Trailer Bride, another early contender in the goth-country scene, started making music in North Carolina in '93.

...Point being, I think the alt-country thing has been going on for a while in other places before some of the bands in Denver who are currently dominating the scene started making music, and I'm curious to know how you think the Denver sound differs from those other bands. In some cases, the Denver bands might sound a bit more "old timey" and authentic, but not by much.