Music Banter - View Single Post - Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Guitarists
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2010, 03:00 PM   #64 (permalink)
fooruky
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBig3KilledMyRainDog View Post
I think you meant "objective", not "subjective"

So what you're saying is, the top 10 of ten genres means the top 100?

Alright so that means the list looks like this.

Top 10 Rock guitarists
Top 10 Folk Guitarists
Top 10 Metal Guitarists
Top 10 Funk Guitarists
Top 10 Classical Guitarists
Top 10 Blues Guitarists
Top 10 Reggae Guitarists
Top 10 Pop Guitarists
Top 10 Soul Guitarists
Top 10 Jazz Guitarists

Meaning if you're the 11th best guitarist in any one genre, you're not on the list. And if we're going to be such parameter-nazi's about this that means the Top 10 Techno guitarists take precedent over the 11th best in other genres...

Do you see why that doesn't work? When you play to a genre, you're good at what that genre does. If you play to play, and your band happens to be genre specific, then you may not be the best [style] guitarist but you can still be pretty great.

With regard to Kurt, Metal's changed quite a bit since 1983. Is that his fault? Is he any less of a guitar player because of it? No. But is he, in 2010, the best guitar player in Metal? Probably not.
It's music, I mean subjective. Alright you missed what I meant completely. I'm not going to try to explain it again. Kurt? Listen my opinion is from a guitarist's perspective. I used to think Kirk was the greatest when I first got into metal. But now as I've come to understand the guitar and technique involved in playing different genres, I now see how I didn't really know what constituted a great guitarist. So you and I can argue about what spot he deserves but it's all meaningless because to quote Robert Anton Wilson, "We all generate our own reality tunnel."