Music Banter - View Single Post - Post-Rock Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2010, 03:47 PM   #441 (permalink)
clutnuckle
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFolkslave View Post
Don't want to step on your toes but how do you explain Explosions in the Skys popularity? I think the whole band is horrid with only few decent songs. Oh yeah and I love Sigur Rós.
EitS have The Earth is not a Cold Dead Place, a great album many so-so ones. The thing about EitS is that they're a pop band. They're the post-rock band that has saccharine-sweet melodies, very accessible harmonies, and those 9 minute songs just fly by so easily because of how structured and (sometimes) rigid they happen to be. It's a lot easier to latch onto. Admittedly once you step away from them, you find things that are a lot more textured, innovative and 'zesty' so to speak, but they're a very good starting point. They're The Beatles of Post-Rock; they might be overrated, but dwelling on that becomes a bit silly. Their music obviously serves its purpose, and every person I've ever met who's into post-rock cites EitS as their gateway drug to it. Perhaps their greatness is instead felt more in terms of influence than in actual sound... I can go either way. The album I mentioned earlier is still quite great, so they have some sort of achievement under their belt.
clutnuckle is offline   Reply With Quote