Music Banter - View Single Post - How many albums do you own?
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2010, 08:05 PM   #37 (permalink)
s_k
Music Addict

Well the collection itself is nice to look at.
It looks interesting in the same way that a case full of books an look interesting.
There's much variety in covers and size (7", 10", 12" and some weird abnormal sizes).
There's usually a lot of effort put into the cover and it really shows off.

But the main reason I'm collecting vinyl is because the music (apart from the unwanted noise which I really hate. I can't understand that there's people who actually say that crackles and pop are a part of the magic that is vinyl. I hate them. I also hate pepole who say that vinyl sounds good because it sounds warm. If it sounds warmer than your CD player, something's wrong) just sounds better.
It sounds more natural, there's more holograpic depth in the sound, it's more dynamic, the bass is a bit more 'loose', it's not as tiring to listen to, the top range is more transparent.
I can give you all the technical details but that will only result in endless discussions about distortion, channel seperation and background noise. We don't want that.
I really listen to vinyl because of the sound itself. And I just love the sleeves. A record feels more like a gain to me. I don't care so much about that plastic little box a CD is in.
Another good thing about vinyl: It's practically invulnerable. I received a pile of 90 records that had been in a garden for two years. Outside, in the rain. I have to clean them. I'd rather kill the owner, but hey. Eitherway, they're perfectly playable. The covers are of course damaged beyond repair, but the vinyl is just fine. Try that with a CD. And make a scratch of 1cm anywhere on a vinyl record. Play it. Most of it is fine. Try the same thing at the center of a CD. Play it. It won't.

Eitherway, digital will catch up sooner or later. I have a soundcard that can record 24 bits 192khz sound (a CD only does 16 bits 44.1khz) and I must say it gets really close to a vinyl record. But the CD we all know and use... It just isn't there yet.

And I should probably point out that I have a good, expensive yamaha CD player that I have modified so it sounds even better. And I can really enjoy the music that's on a CD.
But it's not up there with my record player, yet.

And then, it doesn't have to be expensive. Yes my record player is expensive. So is my phono preamplifier and my cartridge, but you can get a decent Technics turntable here for 40 dollars, put an Audio Technica AT95E cartridge in it, find a NAD PP2 preamp somewhere and enjoy audiophile quality for less than a hundred bucks.

Overhere, vinyl is actually 10-20% cheaper than CD's.

Got carried away again. Sorry.
Have I mentioned that I love vinyl?

Eitherway, back to your question: What's the cons? I can't see any.
Yeah, you have to get up every 22 minutes or so. I collect tapedecks for that .