Music Banter - View Single Post - How many albums do you own?
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2010, 08:32 PM   #39 (permalink)
s_k
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCunningStunt View Post
Good insightful post!
Glad you think of it that way

Quote:
The cons are really the money aspect, I have to buy a record player and build up a collection.
I'm not sure about where you live, but if you tell me where you'd like to buy yourself a player (craigslist? ebay?) I can provide you with some advise.

Quote:
Vinyl is more expensive over here than CDs.
A new CD here is about 15 dollars.
When you want to buy a CD by an old common band like The Eagles, Dire Straits, the CD will cost you about 7 dollars.
A new vinyl record (not some audiophile limited edition, just a regular one) is about 13 dollars. So yeah, it's cheaper. But that's probably because CD's are really expensive here.

Quote:
You have side A and B, so I'd have to get up and turn it over.
I spend a lot of time on the computer, music is at my fingertips.
I have most of my music at my fingertips and at my record player. Works for me. And as I said: I collect tapedecks. So I make mixtapes to solve that issue .
I have got a mix tape system now, you might want to check it out:
http://stijnkraft.ebenau.net/green/tapes/
Just click any of the tapes
I don't mind getting up every 22 minutes. You might, I don't know.
There's record players that can play both sides of the record, but they're usually not very serious.
In some cases the fact that the album is divided in two parts is actually adding something good.

Quote:
People in general have moved away from vinyl, and even away from CDs - it's all digital these days thus making it harder to get hold of vinyl I'd imagine.
I only know one store, which is in Piccadilly (the centre of town)
Not sure about that where you live. Here I can get pretty much everything on vinyl, new. I just go to my local store and order an album. There's more CD's there, too. But I just order what I want. No prob.
And then there's the internet. I mainly use velvetmusic.nl, bol.com and nlstore.nl, but that's of no use to you

Quote:
Space, it'll take up a certain amount of space.
The space it takes up in hight and width, it compensates for in thickness. It doesn't really matter that much

Quote:
And I can't listen to vinyl in the car, so I'm thinking is it worth building up my CD collection.
I have a Minidisc player in my car. And you can still download your records and put them on a CD. Or you could (which is really easy) just record the records to your PC.

Quote:
I have about 100 CDs and hardly any of them are favourite albums of mine.
Mmm... I have about 300 CD's.
I buy everything on vinyl. I only have like 25 albums on CD that I couldn't find on vinyl. The rest is mostly the same as I have on vinyl. I usually buy my CD's second hand for 2 or 3 dollars.

Quote:
The pros:
Even though it takes up space, it looks nice.
Yes

Quote:
The sound may be better, but I have no idea because I've never actually heard a record being played. Well, not that I know of. - but even that's not a proper pro, because I don't know for sure.
Most of the time it won't sound better since most people don't know how to take care of their records and they use cheap ass plastic crap.
The record itself can sound better, but not without the proper equipment, of course

Quote:
So I'm really unsure about what to do.
All I can say is I'd like to advise you when (if...) you decide to buy a record player. If you don't like it, you can always sell it. That's the advantage of knowing what to buy and buying things second hand

The first thing I would throw out of the window in case of fire (after my cat and my backup HDD) is my record collection. I truly love it. I probably wouldn't rescue my CD's...