Music Banter - View Single Post - Depression and suicide
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2010, 11:02 PM   #165 (permalink)
Sljslj
The Omniscient

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post
Actually, it's not strange at all. If you look at crimes, whether it's embezzlement or robbing a bank or raping someone, they are all antisocial acts. Instead of cooperating with people to get money or sex, they use people and take it. These are selfish acts which harm society. Suicide is often similar in that people have wish (f.ex no more pain) and they attempt to achieve it in a way which is completely selfish and may leave behind grieving friends, widows, children and may also hurt random people. I used to be part of a group looking for people lost in the wilderness. I've heard stories about people getting traumatized when they've found people who killed themselves in their cabins as that is sometimes the first place you look when people go missing. I posted earlier a story about how someone in my GF's family was the victim of a suicidal mom who finally killed herself when he and his sister were kids.

As I wrote earlier, the net effect of suicides on society is negative. It makes sense that it is illegal - and should be in my opinion.
Exactly, very well put.

Here's a good question concerning suicide: should the family of someone who has committed suicide recieve the same benefits (life insurance, for example) as the family of someone who has died of natural causes?