Music Banter - View Single Post - Crimes Against Music
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2010, 05:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Default Crimes Against Music

Music is an art. Some artists have integrity and produce works of great, if arguable, artistic values. Some, often overly produced by labels, are only out after the cash in your wallet. This thread is dedicated to the bands, artists and projects whose mere existence only cheapens the overall quality of music in the world, the criminals of the musical world. Instead of this being simply a rant thread, I'm hoping some of you guys will help expose these wrongdoers to the rest of the world.

Pan Flute Cover Albums

I'll start off with pan flute covers. I recently found one of these CDs in my parents-in-law's car. They denied ownership of course. So what's the background here? It seems like some record labels, possibly exploiting poor pan-flute playing peoples living in the Andes, pump out these crappy cover albums. They're typically marketed as being particularly soothing for the soul, a stark contrast to the grating effect it has on mine. Judging by the insane amount there are of these albums, producing them must be cheap and artists are possibly payed for with marbles and mirrors. For reasons I can't fully understand, there seems to be a (large) market for these albums. In this country, much of that market seems to come from out of the way gas stations or possibly in stores selling incense and dream catchers to the gullible. I figure the target group are people with no taste who are simply immune to embarassment.

A typical song one might find on such a cover CD is Celine Dion's My Heart Will Go On, although any 60s/70s/80s/90s hit could be covered (although usually not later than that since pan flute artists generally lag behind the mainstream in music), particularly the soppy ballads.

To the people who buy this sort of stuff, if you wanna listen to My Heart Will Go On .. Why don't you go get a Celine Dion album?