Music Banter - View Single Post - Top albums you discovered this year that aren't from 2010
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2010, 06:44 PM   #21 (permalink)
Sljslj
The Omniscient

2010 was a pretty good year for me to discover things that didn't come out this year.

In chronological order (or close):

Fear Factory, Soul Of A New Machine (1992)
I'd known about Fear Factory for a long time and for some reason, never listened to them. This album is so badass. It just gets going and never slows down in a way that's just... perfect.

Powerman 5000, Mega!! Kung Fu Radio (1995)
Powerman 5000's debut album was ironically my last step in hearing their entire discography. This is some cool stuff, not quite as cool Tonight The Stars Revolt!, but still a very, very good listen.

Shining, Where The Ragged People Go (2001)
I'm seriously ****ing amazed by Shining. 'Nuff said.

Winds, Reflections Of The I (2002)
You gotta dig a metal band that uses string instruments. And when combined with those vocals, what's not to like?

Winds, The Imaginary Direction Of Time (2004) (sorry, don't have a link for this one)
Another solid album from Winds, maybe their best yet.

Black Sun Aeon, Darkness Walks Beside Me (2009)
This album blew me away. If not for Shining's Blackjazz and Devin Townsend Project's Ki, it would definitely be the best I've heard this year.

Devin Townsend Project, Ki (2009)
This album is nothing short of a masterpiece and definitely Devin's best work. Just the way it seems to want to be heavy, but never quite gets there intrigues me. There's so much anger and passion in every second of this, but it remains very subtle. I really don't know how to explain the type of energy this album has, definitely better to let it speak for itself.

Devin Townsend Project, Addicted! (2009)
An interesting companion to Ki. Poppy, but heavy. Very cool stuff.

Animals As Leaders, S/T (2009)
This is a fantastic album. It's not often I get into an instrumental album, but I had absolutely no problem picking this up again and again.

Last edited by Sljslj; 12-18-2010 at 02:57 AM.
Sljslj is offline   Reply With Quote