Music Banter - View Single Post - Question about Music Ripping - Quality
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2010, 03:53 AM   #14 (permalink)
s_k
Music Addict

I've been there so many times, I'm not going to prove it again.
Feel free to call me weak, but I don't mind not having proof. I just trust my own ears.
And then I really don't know anyone who's seriously into audio who can't hear the difference.
There's also people who don't hear the difference in different speaker cables or interlinks.
Hell I even hear a difference when you put a brick on my cd player. And that's no joke either.

If you can't hear the difference, don't bother ripping in high quality. But please stop trying to convince people who can hear the difference that they are fooling themselves, because they're not. Music is so much more than reproducing tones. There's a lot of music in the things you don't hear. The ''black''. There's stage, depth, stereo imaging. All these things are compromised in any mp3. In 192kbps and down it's even easy to hear the mp3 artifacts.
Eitherway, no one who has his rig set up properly (correct speaker placement, right cables, matching amp) likes to listen to mp3. It's just the people of the ''mp3 generation'' that don't care about the difference. But they usually listen to all in one stereo rigs, affordable surround sets or mp3 players. And in that case I wouldn't be able to tell the difference, either.

Edit: about your test: I'm having a hard time seperating mp3 from wav, too. One on one.
But because of the way the human ear and brain work, one on one comparisons only work when the difference is really big.
What you can try is ripping one of the cd's you know really well to 192kbps mp3, burn it, and then play it on your cd player instead of the original. See if you enjoy it just as much. I know hou won't.
Unless, as I said, you listen to a rig that just won't let you hear the difference.

Last edited by s_k; 12-30-2010 at 04:01 AM.
s_k is offline   Reply With Quote