Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2010, 07:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
s_k
Music Addict
 
s_k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,169
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by noise View Post
i challenge you and your friends to demonstrate your ultra-sensitive ears in an ABX test, because i think you're full of ****
Yeah, I hear that all the time.
I don't mind .
As long as I can hear the difference.
__________________
Click here to see my collection
s_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:53 AM   #12 (permalink)
\/ GOD
 
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Nowhere...
Posts: 2,161
Default

If you care that much, then just rip them again. I don't know... I'd just play them and see if anybody even complains.
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:05 AM   #13 (permalink)
Juicious Maximus III
 
tore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scabb Island
Posts: 5,935
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_k View Post
Can I just mention that there's indeed a lot of people who can't hear the difference between a 192kbps mp3 (and up) and an uncompressed file.
But there certainly are people who can hear the difference. I know well... Lots of them. Most of my friends can, actually, hear the difference.
I keep reading everywhere (not just on the internet, also in magazines and on tv) that ripping higher than 192kbps is non-sense because 'you won't be able to hear the difference anyway'. Drives me mad. I know there's a lot of people who don't care about sound quality, but the only way to develop your ears to hear the difference, is by upgrading your equpiment bit by bit (you can't do it in one go, unfortunately ). And since you have to start by the source, I hate reading that 192kbps is sufficient.
Eitherway, I use MP3, nog flac. Space issue. But when I want to enjoy music, I just play a record. Works for me
I'm with Noise on this one. Worth mentioning also is that you should not just be able to tell a difference when you test yourself. You should also be able to correctly identify the higher quality clip from the lower quality one. People are not good at this, but they like to believe they are.

I had a thread for testing this. I was very scientific about it and was hoping to get a lot of people doing it, but I think in the end less than 10 actually did the test and answered my little questionnaire. I asked people to rank some sound clips by quality (from 128 to 320) and I believe a lot of people started, but then noticed they could not separate them and so didn't bother with the ranking in the thread.

From those who did answer, though too few for serious analysis, there was little indication that people can confidently tell the difference from ~160+ kbps and up. There are lots of other tests out there that tell exactly the same story, but people just don't like to hear it, I suspect because they like the idea that they have better hearing than the rest of mankind.

You have to test yourself with a blind test when you do this. Just try it! I can tell 128 kbps apart from higher qualities, but a bit higher BRs and I can't anymore. I don't mind admitting it
__________________
In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.
tore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:53 AM   #14 (permalink)
s_k
Music Addict
 
s_k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,169
Default

I've been there so many times, I'm not going to prove it again.
Feel free to call me weak, but I don't mind not having proof. I just trust my own ears.
And then I really don't know anyone who's seriously into audio who can't hear the difference.
There's also people who don't hear the difference in different speaker cables or interlinks.
Hell I even hear a difference when you put a brick on my cd player. And that's no joke either.

If you can't hear the difference, don't bother ripping in high quality. But please stop trying to convince people who can hear the difference that they are fooling themselves, because they're not. Music is so much more than reproducing tones. There's a lot of music in the things you don't hear. The ''black''. There's stage, depth, stereo imaging. All these things are compromised in any mp3. In 192kbps and down it's even easy to hear the mp3 artifacts.
Eitherway, no one who has his rig set up properly (correct speaker placement, right cables, matching amp) likes to listen to mp3. It's just the people of the ''mp3 generation'' that don't care about the difference. But they usually listen to all in one stereo rigs, affordable surround sets or mp3 players. And in that case I wouldn't be able to tell the difference, either.

Edit: about your test: I'm having a hard time seperating mp3 from wav, too. One on one.
But because of the way the human ear and brain work, one on one comparisons only work when the difference is really big.
What you can try is ripping one of the cd's you know really well to 192kbps mp3, burn it, and then play it on your cd player instead of the original. See if you enjoy it just as much. I know hou won't.
Unless, as I said, you listen to a rig that just won't let you hear the difference.
__________________
Click here to see my collection

Last edited by s_k; 12-30-2010 at 04:01 AM.
s_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
Juicious Maximus III
 
tore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scabb Island
Posts: 5,935
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_k View Post
please stop trying to convince people who can hear the difference that they are fooling themselves, because they're not.
If you/they have not passed a blind test that shows you are able to identify f.ex 192 kbps mp3s from regular CDs, then how do you know that you can? I'm not saying a test definetly would show that you can't do it. Maybe you can, maybe you can't.

Because tests show most can't, when you claim you can, then you're the one who has something to prove, right? If you can hear a difference, then that skill can be demonstrated. If you test yourself and find that you can, then you have some proper support/proof behind your hearing claims. If you have belief in your ability, why not test it?
__________________
In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.
tore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:56 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-D-D-D-D-DROP THE BASS!
 
GuitarBizarre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,633
Default

I've had this argument so many times I'm sick of it. I've proven I can tell the quality difference before, and I'm not about to go proving it again for everyone who asks.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
As for me, my inbox is as of yet testicle-free, and hopefully remains that way. Don't the rest of you get any ideas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
I'll have you know, my ancestors were Kings of Wicklow! We're as Irish as losing a three-nil lead in a must-win fixture!
GuitarBizarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:23 PM   #17 (permalink)
The Sexual Intellectual
 
Urban Hat€monger ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somewhere cooler than you
Posts: 18,449
Default

I think a lot of it depends on what you are listening to as well as the bitrate.

I've had modern digitally recorded stuff that has been ripped at 320kpbs that still sound like total crap.

But then on the other hand I've listened to analogue recorded music recorded in the 60s/70s/80s ripped at 128kpbs that sound identical the the CD they were ripped from.

I don't think you can tell just from the bitrate.
__________________



Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:18 PM   #18 (permalink)
s_k
Music Addict
 
s_k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,169
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
I've had this argument so many times I'm sick of it. I've proven I can tell the quality difference before, and I'm not about to go proving it again for everyone who asks.
This ^

And I just explained that one on one comparison is not the way .
I never said I could do that, I just said I can hear the difference.
I would kick my rig out of my house if it sounded like mp3, at any bitrate, at any point.

But since I can't prove it to the ones who can't hear it... .
Let's get back ontopic, shall we?
__________________
Click here to see my collection

Last edited by s_k; 12-30-2010 at 06:35 PM.
s_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:21 PM   #19 (permalink)
Juicious Maximus III
 
tore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scabb Island
Posts: 5,935
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
I've had this argument so many times I'm sick of it. I've proven I can tell the quality difference before, and I'm not about to go proving it again for everyone who asks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_k View Post
This ^

And I just explained that one on one comparison is not the way .
I never said I could do that, I just said I can hear the difference.
I would kick my rig out of my house if it sounded like mp3, at any bitrate, at any point.

But since I can't prove it to the ones who can't hear it... .
Let's get back ontopic, shall we?
If you guys are able to hear differences in sound quality, then you should try out the new bitrate challenge. I know you, s_k, say that all mp3s sound like crap. That must mean you are able to hear a difference between lossy vs. lossless and, although that's not what's tested in the BR challenge, if you are able to do that, you should definetly be able to hear a difference between some of the bitrates in the challenge.

Try it

http://www.musicbanter.com/games-lis...ge-nr-2-a.html
__________________
In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.
tore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:47 PM   #20 (permalink)
s_k
Music Addict
 
s_k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,169
Default

No I can't hear the difference in a one on one comparison.
I explained that before.
But I did the test anyway.
__________________
Click here to see my collection
s_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.