Music Banter - View Single Post - The writings of an artsy nerd...
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2011, 08:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Dotoar
Supernatural anaesthetist

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
Heya Dotoar,

I enjoyed your progressive rock, Yes-like song, "Turn of the Lake." I'm still thinking about the meaning of your lyrics, which are amorphous enough that they allow or force the listener to draw her own conclusions about what they mean. My favorite stanzas are these below:

One tiny spelling correction: "noone" is actually "no one." I know this because until I was around 21 I kept spelling it as "noone" until I really looked at what I had spelled and realized it would sound like "noon."

Your song is long...but interesting. I love the time signature changes and the warmth of your voice in chorus. I feel the song could be shortened without losing much of its feeling, and this might help prevent the loss of potential listeners, but of course the music you make should be true to your vision. Is progressive rock your favorite genre? I wished somewhat that the song didn't sound *so* Yes-like...even as I admired that you could create similar music.

The song has an open, delighted feel to it. I like the optimism and hope I sense in it even though I don't fully understand the song's intent. One reason I wished to comment is that the song feels comforting to me, and I like that. Uplifting.

At first the guitar made me think of music from the Middle Ages, and so I was curious where you would go from that beginning. I stayed curious throughout the song about what would follow. I liked the transitions, the inclusion of the theremin-sounding instrument (synthesizer, I assume), and the harder rock section.

I would listen again to the song and probably will.
Hi and thanks for all the kind regards!

Well, you live and learn, don't you? Up until now I've actually never reflected about "noone - no one" although I remember the first time I read the back of "Revolver" and the track "For no one" seemed somewhat oddly titled, and likewise, I thought it was slightly amusing that one could be called things like Peter Noone (that guy from Herman's hermits). But wrong is wrong, and since english isn't my first language I tip my hat to anyone for whom it is, that corrects me.

The song then. I'm glad you liked it and I'm really glad you recognized the Yes approach, although it probably is all but obvious to anyone familiar with this, one of my absolute favourite bands of all time. Nice also to see that it kept you interested all throughout, that's exactly what I was trying to do, creating a sort of unexplored landscape through which one travels (one of the main appeals about prog rock for me). And yes, that is an analogue synthesizer, a 1978 Yamaha CS-5.

And the meaning, well I won't spoil it to anyone as it always is nice to hear different interpretations. I could say so much at least, that it's indeed supposed to be optimistic, although set to a somewhat darker backdrop. And oh, the water in it. I might as well reveal that it's you. And me. And everyone else.