Music Banter - View Single Post - Snoop Dogg
Thread: Snoop Dogg
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2011, 08:13 PM   #41 (permalink)
Hitting_Singularity
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I like the little toy keyboard sound in that song but that's about it. Everything else, from the autotune to the beat, is pretty sad behind the curve trend-hopping. I really don't get the use of autotune my Snoop of all people. His voice is his greatest asset. It's what makes him who he is. With autotune he just winds up sounding like a million other people.
I think he still sounds like himself with autotune, it just adds a different sound.

Okay, here's my shpeal about auto-tune:
I agree that it is overused and annoying in a lot of pop today. Most noticeably with unmentionables such as **$**. For example, one album that I think had a lot of potential and could have been a very enjoyable album, except for the fact that it was ruined by autotune used distastefully is Katy Perry's new album, Teenage Dream. one of the few tracks on that album that I really enjoy is Firefly, because it is one of the few tracks that has almost no traces of autotune. That said, I did enjoy the use of autotune in California Girls, but most of the album was almost unbearable

But if you look at the origins on autotune, in electronic music, it was a very enjoyable effect to many songs. For example, I think it is part of what gave Daft Punk their sound.
And I still believe that autotune can, and is being used in creative, enjoyable ways. One of the best tracks I've ever heard use autotune was off of Kanye's new album, the track 'Lost In The World' the beginning is like an a capella autotuned choir that just sounds beautiful.

And finally; as for this song, I disagree completely that Snoop doesn't sound like himself. He has all of his vocal traits and still sounds like himself, and the autotune is also used very creatively, for example in the chorus and some verses in electronic sounding ways that I think sound very cool and enjoyable.

"I'm not saying it should be free; I'm saying it should be free-er. I'm not saying it should be free-er; I'm saying the music should be free."
Hitting_Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote