Music Banter - View Single Post - Snoop Dogg
Thread: Snoop Dogg
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2011, 08:20 AM   #43 (permalink)
Hitting_Singularity
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermarlin View Post
Daft Punk use a vocoder dude, not the same thing as auto-tune.
in a sense it is.

If you want to be picky about it; snoop dogg isn't using auto-tune at all in this song, it's a vocoder, and he uses pitch bending to make cool electronic sounding stuff.

Snoop obviously doesn't need to be auto-tuned in the sense that he needs his pitch corrected.

Above, I was referring to the seemingly common use of the term auto-tune as, essentially, using a vocoder.

I guess I can clarify a bit, in Katy Perry's album automated pitch correction has been applied carelessly in many songs, so it is evident that either Katy doesn't actually have any talent (which wouldn't really surprise me) or that she doesn't bother trying hard in the studio because they can automatically correct the pitch. I like the use of a vocoder in California Girls. And in Firefly, she either tried harder, or they were more meticulous about the production.

Basically what I'm saying is auto-tune is a use of a vocoder and it has become common use to refer to vocoding as auto-tune.

In terms of the strict definition of correcting people's singing who can't stay on pitch, I think it is a truly evil practice.

"I'm not saying it should be free; I'm saying it should be free-er. I'm not saying it should be free-er; I'm saying the music should be free."
Hitting_Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote