Music Banter - View Single Post - Your Musical Stages of Life
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2011, 07:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Charlemagne
Say something vague

Alright I'll give this a go.

0-6: Stuff my parents played...some Simon & Garfunkel, Dylan, Billy Joel, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Mellisa Ethridge, Jazz like Ella, Duke Ellington, Cole Porter too.

6-10: Teen boy band pop, Backstreet Boys, 'Nsync, 98 degrees

10-13: Nu metal and commercial rock, Linkin Park, P.O.D., Default, 3 Doors Down, Red Hot Chili Peppers etc. A short classic rock phase with bands like Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Grateful Dead etc. Then a huge Nirvana and Green Day phase until I graduated middle school.

14-18: Folk and independent rock/pop, bands like Bloc Party, the Decemberists, Death Cab For Cutie, Sufjan Stevens, The National, Tegan and Sara, The Mountain Goats, Iron & Wine, Okkervil River.

Present: A lot of DIY music, it's kind of hard to explain to people. I got really into lo-fi folk pop and folk-punk thanks to bands/musicians like Madeline Ava, Watercolor Paintings, Johnny Hobo and the Freight Trains and Ghost Mice. Then recently its been emo/screamo/rap mixed with the same folk pop and folk punk, bands such as The Saddest Landscape, Snowing, Circle Takes The Square, Brand New, Suis La Lune, P.O.S. (and pretty much the entire Doomtree collective). Oh yeah and I also went through (and still enjoy) a huge Twee Pop/C86/indiepop phase at around this time last year.

So that's pretty much it I think...not too bad.

My Last.fm

Last edited by Charlemagne; 01-21-2011 at 08:47 PM.
Charlemagne is offline   Reply With Quote