Music Banter - View Single Post - The Unbearable Idiocy of Pop Music Elitism
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2011, 11:31 AM   #43 (permalink)
Screen13
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotoar View Post
There are some true highlights on "For sale" as well, "I'm a loser" being a personal favourite, but taken as a whole it's definitely the most stagnant record of their career. That's not to put it down or anything though.

Every band grows old over time of course, and The Beatles' share of the whole musical catalogue will shrink as well, that's just natural. Thus, there will be more and more options to choose from for every new generation but the fact that Beatles still attract new fans despite their numerous competitors that only grow in numbers, speaks volumes about their standards (not to mention whether all these subsequent bands would have been in the first place without Beatles before them). And as the new generation gets acquainted with them, maybe through the Rock Band exploitation (and yes, exploitation is a good thing), it has a good chance of getting to know more obscure acts further on.

I agree to a point that Exploitation is a good thing. There is good exploitation - The consistant reissues of their albums, especially the ones with the Mini-Docuentaries, continue to spread the music well. Plus, it can't get any better than the Anthology. They all help show just how good they were, and not really afraid to show their faults. People can cry all they want to that these re-issues are not really needed, but when it actually lets people know why their music was great, it's all fine in my book.

Still, to me, when it comes off cheesy or as a cartoon, it usually fuels the fires of their critics, usually those who will not take the time to really listen to what they were about. It's great for the business, but it cuts off the edge, although I will not deny that Rock Band is something I know many fans like.
Screen13 is offline   Reply With Quote