Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2011, 10:07 AM   #41 (permalink)
.
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 4,507
Default

If it's any consolation, I like the beatles because I think their music sounds good.
someonecompletelyrandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:13 AM   #42 (permalink)
_____________
 
Cenotaph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,886
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyrd View Post
I've heard hundred of different "reasons" for why they are the greatest band of all time. Some of their stuff is alright, but to me it just seems like cookie cutter feel good pop music. When they got more into the hippie movement, they just became even more unbearable.
I disagree. I think they became more experimental during their later years. Some people say they did that just so they can fit in with the other bands, but I have a hard time believing that. And John Lennon was one of the faces of that "hippie movement" that you spoke of, and many people find his messages inspirational. Again, I don't even like the Beatles that much, but I just don't think it's fair to make these types of criticisms.
Cenotaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:31 AM   #43 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Screen13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,367
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotoar View Post
There are some true highlights on "For sale" as well, "I'm a loser" being a personal favourite, but taken as a whole it's definitely the most stagnant record of their career. That's not to put it down or anything though.



Every band grows old over time of course, and The Beatles' share of the whole musical catalogue will shrink as well, that's just natural. Thus, there will be more and more options to choose from for every new generation but the fact that Beatles still attract new fans despite their numerous competitors that only grow in numbers, speaks volumes about their standards (not to mention whether all these subsequent bands would have been in the first place without Beatles before them). And as the new generation gets acquainted with them, maybe through the Rock Band exploitation (and yes, exploitation is a good thing), it has a good chance of getting to know more obscure acts further on.

I agree to a point that Exploitation is a good thing. There is good exploitation - The consistant reissues of their albums, especially the ones with the Mini-Docuentaries, continue to spread the music well. Plus, it can't get any better than the Anthology. They all help show just how good they were, and not really afraid to show their faults. People can cry all they want to that these re-issues are not really needed, but when it actually lets people know why their music was great, it's all fine in my book.

Still, to me, when it comes off cheesy or as a cartoon, it usually fuels the fires of their critics, usually those who will not take the time to really listen to what they were about. It's great for the business, but it cuts off the edge, although I will not deny that Rock Band is something I know many fans like.
Screen13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:58 AM   #44 (permalink)
\/ GOD
 
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Nowhere...
Posts: 2,161
Default

Well, the issue is not whether the Beatles are overrated or not. It's the concept that apparently people who like the Beatles, and criticize Lady Gaga are somehow hypocrites. I find it utterly ludicrous seeing as how The Beatles were around for 10 years, and continually progressed their sounds. Yes, there's people who did it better, and yes they are overaccredited.

Now, the respect for the Beatles comes from the fact they did not skate along, and do the same old **** year after year. You don't have to like the way they sound, but you have to admit, at least they were trying. Unlike Lady Gaga who basically obviously doesn't give a ****, and just likes having money. The Beatles were trying at least. The could have continually wrote songs that were nothing but "Girl! You are my girl, girl!", and been on their way. But they chose to at least attempt to break that mold just a little which COULD have led to commercial disaster, but they chose not to. That's why I think above today's poppy bull**** they deserve a tad bit of credit.

10 years active, and constantly attempting to keep at the cutting edge, and I'd say they were damn good at it compared with bands like Metallica who tried to keep up with the times, and failed miserably.

So, the issue is not liking them, not respecting them, it's admitting they were at least just a tad bit more than the Biebar's, and Perry's of the world. I think they deserve at least that.
__________________
Quote:
Terence Hill, as recently confirmed during an interview to an Italian TV talk-show, was offered the role but rejected it because he considered it "too violent". Dustin Hoffman and John Travolta declined the role for the same reason. When Al Pacino was considered for the role of John Rambo, he turned it down when his request that Rambo be more of a madman was rejected.
Al Pacino = God
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:07 PM   #45 (permalink)
MB quadrant's JM Vincent
 
duga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,722
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan View Post
If it's any consolation, I like the beatles because I think their music sounds good.
Exaclty.
__________________
Confusion will be my epitaph...
duga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:10 PM   #46 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,028
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaligojurah View Post
Well, the issue is not whether the Beatles are overrated or not. It's the concept that apparently people who like the Beatles, and criticize Lady Gaga are somehow hypocrites. I find it utterly ludicrous seeing as how The Beatles were around for 10 years, and continually progressed their sounds. Yes, there's people who did it better, and yes they are overaccredited.

Now, the respect for the Beatles comes from the fact they did not skate along, and do the same old **** year after year. You don't have to like the way they sound, but you have to admit, at least they were trying. Unlike Lady Gaga who basically obviously doesn't give a ****, and just likes having money. The Beatles were trying at least. The could have continually wrote songs that were nothing but "Girl! You are my girl, girl!", and been on their way. But they chose to at least attempt to break that mold just a little which COULD have led to commercial disaster, but they chose not to. That's why I think above today's poppy bull**** they deserve a tad bit of credit.

10 years active, and constantly attempting to keep at the cutting edge, and I'd say they were damn good at it compared with bands like Metallica who tried to keep up with the times, and failed miserably.

So, the issue is not liking them, not respecting them, it's admitting they were at least just a tad bit more than the Biebar's, and Perry's of the world. I think they deserve at least that.
Why did you start off talking about Lady Gaga and end up talking about Justin Bieber? It's apples and oranges IMO.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:15 PM   #47 (permalink)
\/ GOD
 
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Nowhere...
Posts: 2,161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
Why did you start off talking about Lady Gaga and end up talking about Justin Bieber? It's apples and oranges IMO.
Cause the original article was wrapped with "I'm not speaking of Gaga, and Beatles in particular". Dissimilar as they may be, I still don't buy the concept of Gaga transcending the genre as much as people seem to think just because she can play piano.

Beatles, however, have transcended the genre a tad bit with their progression, and longevity.
__________________
Quote:
Terence Hill, as recently confirmed during an interview to an Italian TV talk-show, was offered the role but rejected it because he considered it "too violent". Dustin Hoffman and John Travolta declined the role for the same reason. When Al Pacino was considered for the role of John Rambo, he turned it down when his request that Rambo be more of a madman was rejected.
Al Pacino = God
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:18 PM   #48 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,028
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaligojurah View Post
Cause the original article was wrapped with "I'm not speaking of Gaga, and Beatles in particular". Dissimilar as they may be, I still don't buy the concept of Gaga transcending the genre as much as people seem to think just because she can play piano.

Beatles, however, have transcended the genre a tad bit with their progression, and longevity.
I'm not trying to argue that Lady Gaga is anything amazing, I'm just saying that I think comparing her to an un-amazing pop band like the Beatles is perfectly reasonable.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:19 PM   #49 (permalink)
\/ GOD
 
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Nowhere...
Posts: 2,161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I'm not trying to argue that Lady Gaga is anything amazing, I'm just saying that I think comparing her to an un-amazing pop band like the Beatles is perfectly reasonable.
Come on, Beatles had a few moments. What about "I am the Walrus"? Like or no, Would you classify that as generic pop?
__________________
Quote:
Terence Hill, as recently confirmed during an interview to an Italian TV talk-show, was offered the role but rejected it because he considered it "too violent". Dustin Hoffman and John Travolta declined the role for the same reason. When Al Pacino was considered for the role of John Rambo, he turned it down when his request that Rambo be more of a madman was rejected.
Al Pacino = God
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:21 PM   #50 (permalink)
MB quadrant's JM Vincent
 
duga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,722
Default

I understand the Beatles really are hyped as the holy grail of music, but isn't it possible to just ignore that and form a legitimate personal opinion on the band? I'll admit that it took me a long time myself to give them a chance just because of the ridiculous fanaticism that followed their music, but trying to come at it from a neutral standpoint helped me really get into their music. It is completely possible to not enjoy their music as well. I think that opinion is what separates the people with an appreciation for the Beatles and the fanboys.

Regardless, once again people are completely willing to argue about the Beatles for the millionth time...I think that in itself says something.
__________________
Confusion will be my epitaph...
duga is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.