Music Banter - View Single Post - Your Musical Stages of Life
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2011, 11:28 PM   #15 (permalink)
DoctorSoft
Rocket Appliances

0-9: Whatever my Mom or Dad liked basically. For my Mom Top 40's Pop(Avril Lavine, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilara) for my Dad, ****ty radio country and ****tier French Pop.

10-11: Green Day baby. American Idiot was huge at this time and my cousin gave me his copy of the CD. I really liked songs from that album, but I could never listen to the whole thing without getting bored. Then I got into Weird Al. He was pretty much the only artist that my friends and I listened to for around 6 months.

11-12: This was my Grunge period. I heard Nirvana through Weird Al's "Smells like Nirvana" then looked up "music like Nirvana" and from there it was on. This is when I started buying CDs and really loving music. I got all the classics Nevermind, Ten, Dirt, Badmotorfinger, etc.

13-14: Pretty much exclusively 80s and 90s Emo and Screamo. Sunny Day Real Estate, Rites of Spring, Mineral, Iwouldsetmyselfonfireforyou, I Hate Myself, Fugazi, etc. I looked up Emo on Wikipedia for some reason and saw that Rites of Spring was the first Emo band, so I decided to listen to them. I really liked them so I decided to listen to Sunny Day Real Estate. I loved them and I had to get the album Diary. I remember going into Calgary, and buying it from a CD store. Listening to it on the way back blew my mind. In the top 20 experiences I've ever had with music.

14-now: After my phase with Emo I had a sudden realization that you don't have to listen to one genre. this is when I started listening to some different music genres, that make up the bulk of what I listen to now. I like a lot of Indie, Rap, IDM, Thrash, Math Rock/Core, and Classic Rock, with bits of other genres sprinkled in. There's a lot of genres I haven't explored yet, and I look forward to doing that, with the help of Music Banter of course!
DoctorSoft is offline   Reply With Quote