Music Banter - View Single Post - What Are You Listening To Right Now? II
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2011, 01:15 AM   #2447 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Duce View Post
Proto-punk sneering shouts..... self-mutilation..... likes to show his c*ck to everybody he meets ... likes golf
I thought three out of four of those activities were just typical man things, not unique to Iggy! Sounds like he was a real swinger who liked to play with balls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaltezon View Post
Despise? tsk. The other-worldly gothic quality of Doug Ingle's organ music and vocals may change your mind about that. Born in Omaha Nebraska, he learned the organ at an early age from his father (a church organist) and went on to apply his skills as primary composer, organist and lead vocalist for the band Iron Butterfly, best known for their psychedelic rock epic 'In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida' (1968).

Check out:

In A Gadda Da Vida - Iron Butterfly . . . for parts one and two of the 17-minute version, and see if his organ music offends your ear.
Okay, I have reduced "despise" to "dislike." I just don't care for the *sound* of organ music, skaltezon. Organ music makes me feel I am supposed to pray, and when I hear it I usually do. I pray that it will END!

The organ solo in Iron Butterfly's "In A Gadda Da Vida" beginning from 9:15 and lasting for several minutes sounds very churchy in a nice churchy way, I suppose. I even recognized a Christmas tune around 11:30 ("Oh Tidings of Comfort and Joy" from "Oh come all ye faithful").

In theory I like the idea of an other-worldy gothic quality, but maybe only in theory. I don't even really like Bach's Toccata because of the *organ* sound quality, although parts are beautiful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTVraVgzC9U.

Anyway, I much prefer Slayer's cover of "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida," which I'm listening to now for comparison with its psychedelic epic predecessor. I like Slayer's version because it is shorter, more focused, more intense...and has no organ!

Slayer - "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida"

If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"

Last edited by VEGANGELICA; 01-27-2011 at 01:25 AM.
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote