Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The Music Forums > General Music
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2011, 07:00 PM   #2441 (permalink)
Anxiety Hangover
 
Buzzov*en's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Gardenia
Posts: 501
Default

Skitsystem - Stigmata
__________________

Save the environment, shoot yourself in the head.
And when there is no hope I'll smoke some crack I'll shoot some dope.
Buzzov*en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:04 PM   #2442 (permalink)
Live by the Sword
 
Howard the Duck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posts: 9,039
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
I'm listening to songs by Iggy Pop.

Somehow Iggy's low voice doesn't sound very "wild" like his image is. Still, he has a nice voice. He sounds to me like a lounge singer from the 50s....or at least what I imagine one to sound like. Still, I like "Real Wild Child" very much and feel it is the best of his songs that I've heard so far.
Have you heard the Stooges?

I like his multi-genre stuff too but that's not what he's famous for.
Howard the Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:33 PM   #2443 (permalink)
s_k
Music Addict
 
s_k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 2,169
Default


And it's beautiful
Nice double vinyl in a great cover.
Don't really like the sound production. Lot of limiting. But it's intended that way. Still don't like it .
But the music is just brilliant.
__________________
Click here to see my collection
s_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:51 PM   #2444 (permalink)
Facilitator
 
VEGANGELICA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Where people kill 30 million pigs per year
Posts: 1,993
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_k View Post
They definitely improved since that album.

They went all psychedelic.
But they didn't lose the organ, sorry .
Glad they didn't, because that would make me lose their interest in them.
Haha, obviously a different thought about organs.
I love organs in rock music. I always have.
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!



Thanks for the song. It sounds very mellow. And NO organ (except perhaps at the very end), which of course is a plus! A BIG plus. Either that, or multiple little plusses + + + + + +.

(You have met your emoticon match! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Duce View Post
Have you heard the Stooges?
I like his multi-genre stuff too but that's not what he's famous for.
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Actually I have heard *of* them, but I don't know if I have heard them. And I didn't realize Iggy was part of the Stooges until today. I don't know a single Stooges song off the top of my head. I have horrible music recall. So, what IS Iggy famous for, if not for his multi-genre stuff?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan:
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"

Last edited by VEGANGELICA; 01-26-2011 at 07:56 PM.
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:07 PM   #2445 (permalink)
Live by the Sword
 
Howard the Duck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posts: 9,039
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post

Actually I have heard *of* them, but I don't know if I have heard them. And I didn't realize Iggy was part of the Stooges until today. I don't know a single Stooges song off the top of my head. I have horrible music recall. So, what IS Iggy famous for, if not for his multi-genre stuff?
Proto-punk sneering shouts..... self-mutilation..... likes to show his c*ck to everybody he meets ... likes golf
Howard the Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:14 PM   #2446 (permalink)
Justifiable Idiocracy
 
Bloozcrooz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,227
Default

Always able to get lost in the simple lyrics of this song.
Bloozcrooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:15 AM   #2447 (permalink)
Facilitator
 
VEGANGELICA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Where people kill 30 million pigs per year
Posts: 1,993
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Duce View Post
Proto-punk sneering shouts..... self-mutilation..... likes to show his c*ck to everybody he meets ... likes golf
I thought three out of four of those activities were just typical man things, not unique to Iggy! Sounds like he was a real swinger who liked to play with balls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaltezon View Post
.
Despise? tsk. The other-worldly gothic quality of Doug Ingle's organ music and vocals may change your mind about that. Born in Omaha Nebraska, he learned the organ at an early age from his father (a church organist) and went on to apply his skills as primary composer, organist and lead vocalist for the band Iron Butterfly, best known for their psychedelic rock epic 'In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida' (1968).

Check out:

In A Gadda Da Vida - Iron Butterfly . . . for parts one and two of the 17-minute version, and see if his organ music offends your ear.
Okay, I have reduced "despise" to "dislike." I just don't care for the *sound* of organ music, skaltezon. Organ music makes me feel I am supposed to pray, and when I hear it I usually do. I pray that it will END!

The organ solo in Iron Butterfly's "In A Gadda Da Vida" beginning from 9:15 and lasting for several minutes sounds very churchy in a nice churchy way, I suppose. I even recognized a Christmas tune around 11:30 ("Oh Tidings of Comfort and Joy" from "Oh come all ye faithful").

In theory I like the idea of an other-worldy gothic quality, but maybe only in theory. I don't even really like Bach's Toccata because of the *organ* sound quality, although parts are beautiful: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTVraVgzC9U.

Anyway, I much prefer Slayer's cover of "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida," which I'm listening to now for comparison with its psychedelic epic predecessor. I like Slayer's version because it is shorter, more focused, more intense...and has no organ!

Slayer - "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida"

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan:
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"

Last edited by VEGANGELICA; 01-27-2011 at 01:25 AM.
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:41 AM   #2448 (permalink)
Live by the Sword
 
Howard the Duck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posts: 9,039
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
I thought three out of four of those activities were just typical man things, not unique to Iggy! Sounds like he was a real swinger who liked to play with balls.
Seriously, though, he is the Godfather of Punk. Wouldn't be punk without him. Imma dunno how to post youtubes but check out the Stooges' "I Wanna Be Your Dog", "1969", "TV Eye" "Down on the Street", "Search and Destroy", "Shake Appeal" and "Penetration".

don't we all men like playing with balls?
Howard the Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 04:03 AM   #2449 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
skaltezon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: hairball cluster
Posts: 325
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
Okay, I have reduced "despise" to "dislike." I just don't care for the *sound* of organ music, skaltezon. Organ music makes me feel I am supposed to pray, and when I hear it I usually do. I pray that it will END!
(sigh) I gave it a shot. But I hope this is simply mindless prejudice and not the result of actual harm done to you.


Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
The organ solo in Iron Butterfly's "In A Gadda Da Vida" beginning from 9:15 and lasting for several minutes sounds very churchy in a nice churchy way, I suppose. I even recognized a Christmas tune around 11:30 ("Oh Tidings of Comfort and Joy" from "Oh come all ye faithful").
Actually it's 'God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen', but now we're getting somewhere. Were you being waterboarded while learning Christmas tunes? lol. You missed some non-churchy dissonance in there too. I'm not saying Ingle's a prodigy on the organ (that would be the singular E. Power Biggs). Much of the organ work in In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida is fill, but it's good fill.


Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
In theory I like the idea of an other-worldy gothic quality, but maybe only in theory. I don't even really like Bach's Toccata because of the *organ* sound quality, although parts are beautiful:
.
That's 'Toccata and Fugue in D Minor, BWV 565 ', which I doubt you'll ever hear in church unless someone's giving a recital. And even then you probably won't hear it on a pipe organ. You've chosen an average performance here, but I'm glad you have some sense of the power of this music. Sadly, none of Biggs' performances can be found on YouTube. The Leżajsk is the best of the pickings, I think.




Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
Anyway, I much prefer Slayer's cover of "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida," which I'm listening to now for comparison with its psychedelic epic predecessor. I like Slayer's version because it is shorter, more focused, more intense...and has no organ!

Slayer - "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida"

You have me there -- Slayer has put some balls into the piece, where now it sounds more like a paean to Satan. rofl. Very effective. I don't mean to compare Iron Butterfly with Slayer, though. For me, the original piece demonstrates a successful integration of organ keyboard work with psychedelic rock music.

(In case you're wondering, I can't post complete URL's yet).

Last edited by skaltezon; 01-28-2011 at 02:32 PM.
skaltezon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:40 AM   #2450 (permalink)
Facilitator
 
VEGANGELICA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Where people kill 30 million pigs per year
Posts: 1,993
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaltezon View Post
(sigh) I gave it a shot. But I hope this is simply mindless prejudice and not the result of actual harm done to you.
Your hope is fulfilled: this is simply mindless prejudice against organs...although I *have* been harmed by a few of them!

(I should probably take away the but then this looks very serious, doesn't it?)

Quote:
Actually it's 'God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen', but now we're getting somewhere. Were you being waterboarded while learning Christmas tunes? lol.
Yes.

Quote:
You missed some non-churchy dissonance in there too. I'm not saying Ingle's a prodigy on the organ (that would be the singular E. Power Biggs). Much of the organ work in In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida is fill, but it's good fill.
Good...I also felt Ingle's organ playing sounded mostly like fill. Not that we have to agree, of course. I do not know of E. Power Biggs, but it sounds like his name (Power) must be appropriate!! I wish my name were Power.

Quote:
That's 'Toccata and Fugue in D Minor, BWV 565 ', which I doubt you'll ever hear in church unless someone's giving a recital. And even then you probably won't hear it on a pipe organ. You've chosen an average performance here, but I'm glad you have some sense of the power of this music. Sadly, none of Biggs' performances can be found on YouTube. The Lezajsk at youtube.com/watch?v=0Aej0vQJNQA is the best of the pickings, I think.
Yep, I can sense power in the music. And excruciating beauty (especially at 2:50 and beyond) and delicacy. I just wish it didn't have that organ warble. You like this singular Mr. Biggs, don't you! I'll settle for the following for now:



^ Actually, this organ tune is sort of starting to grow on me after listening to it in your Baroque thread as well as here.

Quote:
You have me there -- Slayer has put some balls into the piece, where now it sounds more like a paean to Satan. rofl. Very effective. I don't mean to compare Iron Butterfly with Slayer, though. For me, the original piece demonstrates a successful integration of organ keyboard work with psychedelic rock music.
I understand your perspective: the two pieces aimed to achieve different goals and both achieve them well.

I don't really know why Iron Butterfly's version is considered "psychedelic," though, other than it meanders around (drums to organ, etc.) with a stream-of-consciousness sort of feel. It sounds like prog rock, as best I can guess based on what I've learned about progressive rock here at MB, where its main afficionado (boo boo) is unfortunately currently on involuntary hiatus. Boo boo!!!! (That was a tortured scream.)

Quote:
In case you're wondering, I can't post complete URL's yet).
Really? Huh. I guess you'll just have to up your post count! Remember: go UP, not DOWN! You can go down, though, if you want to. I don't mind. But don't most people like their posts to go up?

I *was* wondering why you weren't just embedding the youtube videos as you usually do.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan:
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.