Music Banter - View Single Post - What Are You Listening To Right Now? II
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2011, 04:03 AM   #2449 (permalink)
skaltezon
Music Addict

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
Okay, I have reduced "despise" to "dislike." I just don't care for the *sound* of organ music, skaltezon. Organ music makes me feel I am supposed to pray, and when I hear it I usually do. I pray that it will END!
(sigh) I gave it a shot. But I hope this is simply mindless prejudice and not the result of actual harm done to you.

Quote:
The organ solo in Iron Butterfly's "In A Gadda Da Vida" beginning from 9:15 and lasting for several minutes sounds very churchy in a nice churchy way, I suppose. I even recognized a Christmas tune around 11:30 ("Oh Tidings of Comfort and Joy" from "Oh come all ye faithful").
Actually it's 'God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen', but now we're getting somewhere. Were you being waterboarded while learning Christmas tunes? lol. You missed some non-churchy dissonance in there too. I'm not saying Ingle's a prodigy on the organ (that would be the singular E. Power Biggs). Much of the organ work in In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida is fill, but it's good fill.

Quote:
In theory I like the idea of an other-worldy gothic quality, but maybe only in theory. I don't even really like Bach's Toccata because of the *organ* sound quality, although parts are beautiful:
That's 'Toccata and Fugue in D Minor, BWV 565 ', which I doubt you'll ever hear in church unless someone's giving a recital. And even then you probably won't hear it on a pipe organ. You've chosen an average performance here, but I'm glad you have some sense of the power of this music. Sadly, none of Biggs' performances can be found on YouTube. The Leżajsk is the best of the pickings, I think.

Quote:
Anyway, I much prefer Slayer's cover of "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida," which I'm listening to now for comparison with its psychedelic epic predecessor. I like Slayer's version because it is shorter, more focused, more intense...and has no organ!

Slayer - "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida"

You have me there -- Slayer has put some balls into the piece, where now it sounds more like a paean to Satan. rofl. Very effective. I don't mean to compare Iron Butterfly with Slayer, though. For me, the original piece demonstrates a successful integration of organ keyboard work with psychedelic rock music.

(In case you're wondering, I can't post complete URL's yet).

Last edited by skaltezon; 01-28-2011 at 02:32 PM.
skaltezon is offline   Reply With Quote