Music Banter - View Single Post - Senoras y Senores - It's Latin Week!
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2011, 09:36 AM   #33 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Wow ! You guys really know your way around Latin music.

I enjoyed your Mexican Institute of Sound and Mattias clips, Mrd00d, for their very original take on cumbia and la Bamba, but for repeated listening, I think I`d go back to the beautiful Sergovia song more often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachsd View Post
Do the younger generations listen to Ranchero music in Mexico? In LA it's usually always middle-aged men, I don't know if that's just an influence of American culture though. It's a shame how native U.S. citizens really frown upon Ranchero music. Just because you don't like it/it's foreign doesn't mean it should be mocked constantly.
I`m no real fan of Ranchero as such, and most Mexican kids treat it as a joke: it`s over-exposed in the local media and turns up in the soundtrack of too many cheesy old Mexican movies. I think Shakira, Mana or Enrique Iglesias are about as Latin as most young people want to go; cumbia,samba,bossa nova, etc are strictly for the grandmothers and housemaids.

The gradual developement in your Novos Baianos clip is excellent, BTW and your Jorge Ben recommendation reminds me that I`ve got a track of his on a sampler album I`ve hardly ever played, so I`ve got some listening to do.

And there`s Mrd00d with another post - slow down, you guys !
Lisnaholic is offline   Reply With Quote