Music Banter - View Single Post - Most Memorable Moments in Sports
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2011, 08:42 PM   #15 (permalink)
Bloozcrooz
Justifiable Idiocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom Yorke View Post
Wow, I couldn't disagree more. I've been arguing Moss over Rice for years actually (which I know sounds like blasphemy, but I stand by that). The point is that there has never been an athlete like Moss to come into the league, ever, and there likely won't be for the forseeable future. His measurables are out of this world. He came in with a 50+ vertical and 4.2 speed, while being 6'4. There just isn't a way to cover that. Add in his hands and boundary awareness and the guy truly is a freak.

It's not a coincidence that he's played on the two highest scoring offenses of all time. Even when he's not making big catches he can completely take over games because he always requires special attention. Yes, TO has physicality over him, but frankly it doesn't really matter when you are so dominant in a certain asect of the game that you completely take the top off the defense everytime you're on the field. And he wasn't strictly about the long ball, although it was definitely his main draw.

And I'm speaking in the past tense because he's at one of those points in his career where he's clearly not trying right now. We've seen it before and we'll see it again. I have no doubts that if he wants to play again, he will go right back to dominating.
I see the argument your making with Moss. Definatley a freak of nature with his ability and height. Along with several other factors that contribute to his overall nack for the position. Ive always been a fan of his and have witnessed some amazing catches over the years. Still I think its a little early to annoint him the King of receiving ahead of Rice. You also have to take into consideration the era in which these two were playing in. At the begining and most of Rices career the game was not a pass dominant league. It was quite the opposite. Rice really didnt have all the natural abillity of a Moss. His work ethic was bar none and he had excellent route running abillities. Thats whats landed him the overall leader of the statistic books in almost every category there is. It wasnt until Young arrived to replace Montana that the epic west coast offense started to take effect. Which is exzactly the style of offense Brady and the Pats run. Point being in Rices day the yards were a little harder to come by for a receiver. However ive enjoyed and appreciate being able too watch both these great through the years.Its almost sad when you think what Moss could have accomplished if he applied hisself every down. But thats the Randy we all know and love though and openly admits he doesnt give it his all every down...which is actually funny to me. I still like the guy and enjoy his press conferences in which he taunts the media. Either way the guy can ball when he wants to but better than Rice????ehhh not sure if I would go to that extent. At any rate heres one of his epic rants..lol..

Last edited by Bloozcrooz; 04-14-2011 at 10:42 PM.
Bloozcrooz is offline   Reply With Quote