Music Banter - View Single Post - Most Memorable Moments in Sports
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2011, 09:08 PM   #17 (permalink)
Thom Yorke
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozinbloozin View Post
I see the argument your making with Moss. Definatley a freak of nature with his ability and height. Along with several other factors that contribute to his overall nack for the position. Ive always been a fan of his and have witnessed some amazing catches over the years. Still I think its a little early to annoint him the King of receiving ahead of Rice. You also have to take into consideration the era in which these two were playing in. At the begining and most of Rices career the game was not a pass dominant league. It was quite the opposite. Rice really didnt have all the natural abillity of a Moss. His work ethic was bar none and he had excellent route running abillities. Thats whats landed him the overall leader of the statistic books in almost every category there is. It wasnt until Young arrived to replace Montana that the epic west coast offense started to take effect. Which is exzactly the style of offense Brady and the Pats run. Point being in Rices day the yards were a little harder to come by for a receiver. However ive enjoyed and appreciate being able too watch both these great through the years. Its almost sad when you think of what Moss could accomplish if he actually applied his self every down. Thats the Randy we all know though and he openly admits he doesnt give it his all every down..which is actually funny to me. I still like the guy and enjoy his press conferences in which he taunts the media. Either way the guy can ball when he wants to but better than Rice????ehhh not sure if I would go to that extent. At any rate heres one of his epic rants..lol..
I wouldn't say I completely disregard stats, but I really put minimal weight into them, so it's pretty tough to have an argument with me about Rice vs. Moss because stats always seem to be the backbone of any Rice argument. When I'm evaluating players I'm basically only going off of what I see of them, how much they help their team, and how well they hold up year to year. When I look at Moss, the measurables speak for themselves. And when you look at the long list of players that have had success when Moss was on their team and then have basically disapeared afterwards, his impact on his team is pretty easy to see.

And yes, he's one of the best for quotables too. I thought this mix sums him up pretty well:

Thom Yorke is offline   Reply With Quote