Music Banter - View Single Post - Physical discipline against children .. okay or not?
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2011, 08:04 AM   #531 (permalink)
RandyMarsh
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by tore View Post

So basically, several nations have abolished this practice and the amount of families that get by without it is pretty darn huge. Obviously, it is perfectly possible to raise kids without it and, as Janszoon pointed out, I don't think society here in Norway or Sweden suffers in any way from a lack of corporal punishment. I think it's something we benefit from.
1. It's still illegal to be a homosexual in well over 40 different countries. Just because somthing is outlawed in a lot of places, doesn't make them right.

2. How do you know how much of a difference it's made to those contries? It's close to impossible to find out. How many parents were using YOUR definition of corporal punishment before it was outlawed? How many still use it even after it's been outlawed? There's no way to know these kind of things for sure.

3. I have no doubt you can discipline a child without using physical discipline (my parents raised me and my sister just fine without it) however, every kid is different. I've known kids who haven't responded to ANY other kind of discipline. I still say using it as a last resort once in a blue moon when a kid has done something terrible is completely acceptable. And let me just reiterate to be completely clear, I'm not talking about smacking a kid full force, I'm talking about smacking lightly in a less sensitive area (not slapping them in the face or punching them in the throat). A lot of kids respond to it when they don't respond to other forms of discipline.
RandyMarsh is offline   Reply With Quote