Music Banter - View Single Post - Physical discipline against children .. okay or not?
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2011, 10:09 AM   #536 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyMarsh View Post
Tore, when you have kids maybe you'll open your mind a little to the fact that some children CANNOT be controlled without physical discipline being used every now and then. It is NOT abuse, it is a light slap, the kind of thing they do to eachother when they give their friends dead arms. Not a beating.
You're right, your belief that it's simply not possible to control some children without the use of violence seems completely ridiculous to me and it's not an idea I feel very open to, just like you can't seem to open your mind to the possibility that not prohibiting corporal punishment allows for and enables far worse things than light slaps used only in emergency and that prohibition will be good for society.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyMarsh
Also, you can find scientific studies to support ANY arguement, there's plenty studies out there supporting physical discipline but you most likely haven't seen them because you're only looking at the things that support your arguement.

Hell i've seen scientific studies that link the colour of your walls in your bedroom to the increase of the chances of you getting cancer. They're constantly spouting out utter tripe simply because they're paid to do so. I doubt I've ever read a scientific study that was 100% true and hadn't been corrupted or altered to exaggerate the topic at hand. Their opinion has everything to do with those who pay their wage and very little to do with science. Even independent studies can be swayed at times. I wonder how many of these studies were carried out by scientists who live in those countries and who work for those governments? They certainly wouldn't shed it in a negative light they want the world to think they made a good choice not a bad one.
How simple and convenient it is for you to discard the vast majority of scientific work on the subject in one fell swoop of an argument.

A hole in your argument, though, is that among those references I posted was a review study which summarizes the findings and conclusions in the field of study. I'm not picking strange studies that prove the abnorm, I am pointing out the consensus findings in the field. Here's the abstract of another review study from America :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporal punishment by parents and associated child behaviors and experiences: A meta-analytic and theoretical review
Although the merits of parents using corporal punishment to discipline children have been argued for decades, a thorough understanding of whether and how corporal punishment affects children has not been reached. Toward this end, the author first presents the results of meta-analyses of the association between parental corporal punishment and 11 child behaviors and experiences. Parental corporal punishment was associated with all child constructs, including higher levels of immediate compliance and aggression and lower levels of moral internalization and mental health. The author then presents a process-context model to explain how parental corporal punishment might cause particular child outcomes and considers alternative explanations. The article concludes by identifying 7 major remaining issues for future research. (PsycINFO Database Record (c) 2010 APA, all rights reserved)
Source : http://psycnet.apa.org/index.cfm?fa=...2002-01514-001

Follow that link and have a look at the number of studies in the reference list for this article. Are you gonna claim they are all completely invalid?

Quote:
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. But remember this thread when you have kids of your own.
Fine.