Music Banter - View Single Post - Pavement Or Interpol
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2005, 01:47 PM   #46 (permalink)
adidasss
Slavic gay sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookers with machineguns
Are you correlating popularity with talent? Think about that for a second, that's a bit naive.

Music journalists on popular magazines and websites really sold the f*ck out of the new wave revival, so people ate it up. Even if you specifically don't feed off their reviews, the rest of the world collectively does. Most of those bands received enormous amounts of attention from those journalists, and music outlets and fans bought every word of it, whether or not there was actually anything there that was done before or was anything special to begin with. Even if you hate the 80s, it was the original 80s and 70s new wave movement that those bands were inspired by to begin with.
I understand you defending one of your favorite bands, but don't you find it a bit ironic that more than half the people who contributed to this thread haven't even heard of more than one Pavement song? It is ironic, because Pavement receives just as much attention from indie enthusiasts from the same sources that praise Interpol, except Pavement have nearly 10 years as predecessors. Whether or not that matters, you have to admit it's a bit funny (funny, as in sad) that Interpol is popular enough for people to not even care who the other band in this topic is. Try this on for size: 90% of the time, I talk about bands that people don't even bother to care about on these boards, how do you think I feel? You're defending a band to what seems like the death, and you have plenty of people(to say the least) on your side.
listen, i just think we should agree to disagree, i just can't understand how you can think that, granted these new wave bands are getting more exposure throught the media which means that a lot more people are able to get to know their stuff, but the popularity of the band depends on weather or not a lot of people like the music after hearing it...i get the feeling that you think that people listen to certain bands because some magazine told them they're really cool, my opinion is that they might check them out ( which is the case with me ) but if they don't like the music they won't listen to it , if a band has sold a couple of milion albums that ( in my opinion ) means they're not total crap, sometimes i say that a certain band is crap but i do agnowledge the fact that a lot of people like them and i don't think they shouldn't sell as many albums ( like you seem to think about certain bands ) because that falls into the category of musical taste and musical tastes can differ quite a bit and are essentially undebatable...( it's a bit frustrating when i can't get my point across )
( i can so see urban jumping in here to contradict me..to save you the trouble, yes, i know i have debated peoples taste in music, yours in particular, but that's more for the sake of an argument, if it sounds good to you that's fine with me....)

Last.fm
adidasss is offline   Reply With Quote