Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The MB Reader > Album Reviews
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2010, 11:50 PM   #21 (permalink)
MB quadrant's JM Vincent
 
duga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 3,722
Default

I never got the depressing tag they always get stuck with. I just find their music calls it as it is, and quite poetically I might add. You also mentioned their humor, which I just love. There are certain bands where I can totally understand why someone would think it was downer music (Joy Division, for example...I love em but yep they are depressing), but the Smiths are just plain musical satisfaction.

Great review thread, I'll be keeping up with this one.
__________________
Confusion will be my epitaph...
duga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:14 AM   #22 (permalink)
love will tear you apart
 
TheCunningStunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Manchester, UK.
Posts: 5,100
Default

I never really understood why people found The Smiths funny. I mean, I know they have depressing lyrics over the top of really catchy poppy uplifting guitar melodies which is kind of funny I guess. But people said they've laughed out loud to The Smiths lyrics. I dunno why.
__________________
I don't feel and I feel great.

Last FM
TheCunningStunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:17 PM   #23 (permalink)
Moper
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 504
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCunningStunt View Post
I never really understood why people found The Smiths funny. I mean, I know they have depressing lyrics over the top of really catchy poppy uplifting guitar melodies which is kind of funny I guess. But people said they've laughed out loud to The Smiths lyrics. I dunno why.
I don't think I've ever laughed out loud to their lyrics, but they have some undeniably witty lyrics that put a smile on my face now and then.
The Fascinating Turnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:16 PM   #24 (permalink)
Melancholia Eternally
 
Mojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: England
Posts: 4,912
Default

I dont see how its possible not to notice their more humorous side. One listen to Vicar in a Tutu is all you need to get that surely? Even some of their more depressing songs like Girlfriend in a Coma are quite humorous.

Nice thread so far anyway mate. Keep it up.
__________________

Last.FM | Blank Slate Creative
Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:20 PM   #25 (permalink)
love will tear you apart
 
TheCunningStunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Manchester, UK.
Posts: 5,100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojopinuk View Post
I dont see how its possible not to notice their more humorous side. One listen to Vicar in a Tutu is all you need to get that surely? Even some of their more depressing songs like Girlfriend in a Coma are quite humorous.

Nice thread so far anyway mate. Keep it up.
Yeah they can make you smile, Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others and Vicar in a Tutu in particular but I don't see how they can make people laugh out loud.
__________________
I don't feel and I feel great.

Last FM
TheCunningStunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:29 PM   #26 (permalink)
Melancholia Eternally
 
Mojo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: England
Posts: 4,912
Default

Well yeah, but does any music make you laugh out loud? Unless they are maybe a comedy band?
__________________

Last.FM | Blank Slate Creative
Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:41 PM   #27 (permalink)
love will tear you apart
 
TheCunningStunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Manchester, UK.
Posts: 5,100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojopinuk View Post
Well yeah, but does any music make you laugh out loud? Unless they are maybe a comedy band?


30 seconds.. apparently The Smiths make Noel piss himself laughing. And he's not alone with that view, others have said The Smiths lyrics are LOL funny and I don't see why.
__________________
I don't feel and I feel great.

Last FM
TheCunningStunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 03:04 PM   #28 (permalink)
Moper
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 504
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCunningStunt View Post


30 seconds.. apparently The Smiths make Noel piss himself laughing. And he's not alone with that view, others have said The Smiths lyrics are LOL funny and I don't see why.
Ah, Noel Gallagher. I like that chap as opposed to a lot of people.
I think he was specifically talking about Morrissey's interviews there, though I've seen that before and I was as bewildered as you.
The Fascinating Turnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 03:09 PM   #29 (permalink)
love will tear you apart
 
TheCunningStunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Manchester, UK.
Posts: 5,100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unchained Ballad View Post
Ah, Noel Gallagher. I like that chap as opposed to a lot of people.
I think he was specifically talking about Morrissey's interviews there, though I've seen that before and I was as bewildered as you.
Hmm, maybe. I heard someone else say on a Smiths documentary that they pissed themselves when listening to The Smiths.

And got to love Noely G. Shame people associate him as being a knob because his brother's one..
__________________
I don't feel and I feel great.

Last FM
TheCunningStunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 03:35 PM   #30 (permalink)
Moper
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 504
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCunningStunt View Post
Hmm, maybe. I heard someone else say on a Smiths documentary that they pissed themselves when listening to The Smiths.

And got to love Noely G. Shame people associate him as being a knob because his brother's one..
Some people just laugh easily, I suppose.
And I actually think Liam has his amusing moments.
Oh wait...Derailed =/
The Fascinating Turnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.