Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The MB Reader > Album Reviews
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2012, 06:18 AM   #11 (permalink)
RMR
Front to Back
 
RMR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 360
Default

I normally don't like to label music-- usually that's done by record companies to market bands, so I normally try to stay away from stamping one label on a band because they rarely are the pure representation of that label. I was interested in King Crimson, though.

On the grunge label that I originally wrote, I read an article several years ago that said that King Crimson's sound in their 73-74 period was very "grungy" not to be compared with the grunge bands of the early 90's... just that it was very "grungy" sounding, with which I still somewhat agree; however, the word has way too many connotations to bands like Nirvana to used, so I should have never used that adjective to start with. Here are my final labels, with the help of IL Duce:

Period 1- "In the Court," "Poseidon," "Lizard," "Islands" (original progressive rock)
Period 2- "Larks' Tongues in Aspic," "Starless and Bible Black," "Red" (improvisational proto-progressive metal)
Period 3- "Discipline," "Beat," "Three of a Perfect Pair" (progressive new wave)
Period 4- "THRAK," "The Construction of Light," "The Power to Believe" (industrial and avant-garde progressive metal)
__________________
RMR
My music reivew site: RMR Music Reviews
RMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:11 AM   #12 (permalink)
Horribly Creative
 
Unknown Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London, The Big Smoke
Posts: 8,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il Duce View Post
aduhai! again with the Talking Heads comparison

just because Adrian Belew was there doesn't make them sound like the Heads
I disagree, so there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMR View Post
I normally don't like to label music-- usually that's done by record companies to market bands, so I normally try to stay away from stamping one label on a band because they rarely are the pure representation of that label. I was interested in King Crimson, though.

On the grunge label that I originally wrote, I read an article several years ago that said that King Crimson's sound in their 73-74 period was very "grungy" not to be compared with the grunge bands of the early 90's... just that it was very "grungy" sounding, with which I still somewhat agree; however, the word has way too many connotations to bands like Nirvana to used, so I should have never used that adjective to start with. Here are my final labels, with the help of IL Duce:

Period 1- "In the Court," "Poseidon," "Lizard," "Islands" #original progressive rock#
Period 2- "Larks' Tongues in Aspic," "Starless and Bible Black," "Red" #improvisational proto-progressive metal#
Period 3- "Discipline," "Beat," "Three of a Perfect Pair" #progressive new wave#
Period 4- "THRAK," "The Construction of Light," "The Power to Believe" #industrial and avant-garde progressive metal#
I would make that five periods with Lizard and Islands being period 2.
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:29 AM   #13 (permalink)
RMR
Front to Back
 
RMR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
I would make that five periods with Lizard and Islands being period 2.
I don't have "Islands," but but "Lizard" is certainly more jazzy than "ITCOTCK" or "ITWOP."

So, for the sake of conversation, how would you classify "Lizard" and "Islands"?
__________________
RMR
My music reivew site: RMR Music Reviews
RMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:47 AM   #14 (permalink)
Horribly Creative
 
Unknown Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: London, The Big Smoke
Posts: 8,220
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMR View Post
I don't have "Islands," but but "Lizard" is certainly more jazzy than "ITCOTCK" or "ITWOP."

So, for the sake of conversation, how would you classify "Lizard" and "Islands"?
Prog rock with a jazz infusion is how I would describe them, nowhere as heavily jazz fused as say The Soft Machine though. At that time jazz fusion in rock was the in thing.
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:59 AM   #15 (permalink)
Live by the Sword
 
Howard the Duck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posts: 9,039
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMR View Post
I don't have "Islands," but but "Lizard" is certainly more jazzy than "ITCOTCK" or "ITWOP."

So, for the sake of conversation, how would you classify "Lizard" and "Islands"?
medieval jazz-folk prog?
__________________


Malaise is THE dominant human predilection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Virgin View Post
what? i don't understand you. farming is for vegetables, not for meat. if ou disagree with a farming practice, you disagree on a vegetable. unless you have a different definition of farming.
Howard the Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.