Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The MB Reader > Album Reviews
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2012, 08:45 PM   #21 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Ghost Jam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 107
Default

I often discuss how Radiohead is one of those rare bands whose albums get better as they go, whereas most bands' works decline in quality as their discography grows.

I view Kid A as a record that not only redefined Radiohead, but really changed the course of pop music. Kid A was defiant...a sonic middle finger commercially speaking, insisting on being what it was (nightmarish, beautiful, icy, detached, magnificent...all the things we love about it) and accomplishing that in the face of what everyone expected of it.

I view Amnesiac as a kind of extension of Kid A, and usually listen to it as though that's precisely what it is. I rarely play Kid A without following it up with this album. I used to wish they had released them together as a double album until I realized that I can simply play the two back to back and pretend that's just what they did. Fun!

Now, Kid A and Amnesiac being what they are, I view the rest of Radiohead's catalog as the organic machinery that surrounds the nucleus of these two records. Orbiting closest to the center, of course, I find OK Computer and In Rainbows performing the most vital functions.

OK Computer seems in hindsight to be so much like a prelude to what immediately followed, but this idea in no way diminishes the power and importance of this brilliant album, while In Rainbows conversely seems less like any kind of epilogue than it does a necessary evolution of what came before it.

More on the periphery of all of this I see Hail to the Thief, the Bends and the King of Limbs, each flashing and dimming with a bit more frequency and in no particular sequence...though to be fair tKoL hasn't had much time to sink in for me as of yet.

Of course, don't get me wrong...each of these three records are absolutely brilliant and vary from 7.5/10 to 9/10, depending on the weather.

I haven't listened to Pablo Honey in like, 15 years. Not fair to say much about it, but I suspect there's a reason it's been so long since I've given it a whirl.

-Suckin' on a Lemon Ghost Jam
Ghost Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:10 PM   #22 (permalink)
A Sarcastic Joyful Sound
 
wiggums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Montana
Posts: 173
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Jam View Post
I view Kid A as a record that not only redefined Radiohead, but really changed the course of pop music. Kid A was defiant...a sonic middle finger commercially speaking, insisting on being what it was (nightmarish, beautiful, icy, detached, magnificent...all the things we love about it) and accomplishing that in the face of what everyone expected of it.
Those two words are exactly how I'd describe Kid A. I love it.


8. Amnesiac
7. Pablo Honey
6. Hail to the Thief
5. The Bends
4. OK Computer
3. The King of Limbs
2. Kid A
1. In Rainbows

I guess I'm one of the few who really loved The King of Limbs. People's main complaint is the length, but it doesn't really feel all to short from start to finish, which is the way I listen to it. Really obsessed with it right now as it is.
__________________
wiggums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:10 PM   #23 (permalink)
President spic
 
Justthefacts's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Waxahatchee
Posts: 4,864
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggums View Post
Those two words are exactly how I'd describe Kid A. I love it.


8. Amnesiac
7. Pablo Honey
6. Hail to the Thief
5. The Bends
4. OK Computer
3. The King of Limbs
2. Kid A
1. In Rainbows

I guess I'm one of the few who really loved The King of Limbs. People's main complaint is the length, but it doesn't really feel all to short from start to finish, which is the way I listen to it. Really obsessed with it right now as it is.
Haha for a second there I thought you said you really loved The King Of Limbs.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkeDaddy View Post
I love how you edited your post to officially out me out of the closet?" It's like you asked yourself if you were a big enough cunt in the post, concluded that you weren't, and added it in to satisfy your postly cunt quota
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
I converted to Islam today.

Allah Supreme.
A Love Supreme.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondo Bungle View Post
saw LeBron James downtown but then I realized I'm just racist
The Best Collection You'll See Today
Justthefacts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:11 PM   #24 (permalink)
A Sarcastic Joyful Sound
 
wiggums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Montana
Posts: 173
Default

Lol. Yeah. Seems like I did. Maybe it's just fresh to me or something, but I can't keep away from it. It's definitely up there for me.
__________________
wiggums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:13 PM   #25 (permalink)
President spic
 
Justthefacts's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Waxahatchee
Posts: 4,864
Default

But, but, nobody likes that album!?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkeDaddy View Post
I love how you edited your post to officially out me out of the closet?" It's like you asked yourself if you were a big enough cunt in the post, concluded that you weren't, and added it in to satisfy your postly cunt quota
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
I converted to Islam today.

Allah Supreme.
A Love Supreme.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondo Bungle View Post
saw LeBron James downtown but then I realized I'm just racist
The Best Collection You'll See Today
Justthefacts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:13 PM   #26 (permalink)
A Sarcastic Joyful Sound
 
wiggums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Montana
Posts: 173
Default

I'm nobody. :3
__________________
wiggums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:17 PM   #27 (permalink)
President spic
 
Justthefacts's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Waxahatchee
Posts: 4,864
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggums View Post
I'm nobody. :3
No. You are somebody, you stand up for what you believe in. If you believe Tkol is in your top 3 Radiohead albums, well god damnit you stand by that statement.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkeDaddy View Post
I love how you edited your post to officially out me out of the closet?" It's like you asked yourself if you were a big enough cunt in the post, concluded that you weren't, and added it in to satisfy your postly cunt quota
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
I converted to Islam today.

Allah Supreme.
A Love Supreme.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondo Bungle View Post
saw LeBron James downtown but then I realized I'm just racist
The Best Collection You'll See Today
Justthefacts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:27 PM   #28 (permalink)
A Sarcastic Joyful Sound
 
wiggums's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Montana
Posts: 173
Default

__________________
wiggums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:53 PM   #29 (permalink)
Master, We Perish
 
Surell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Havin a good time, rollin to the bottom.
Posts: 3,704
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Groove View Post
But, but, nobody likes that album!?
Hey. Nobody I know in the real world likes In Rainbows but I know you douches out here just luuuuv that shit.

I loved TKOL myself, and would put it above OKC or IR in a second on my Radiohead list (and of course Pablo Honey cuz nobody likes that album!).

Wiggums, stay beautiful.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhateverDude View Post
Laser beams, psychedelic hats, and for some reason kittens. Surrel reminds me of kittens.
^if you wanna know perfection that's it, you dumb shits
Spoiler for guess what:
|i am a heron i ahev a long neck and i pick fish out of the water w/ my beak if you dont repost this comment on 10 other pages i will fly into your kitchen tonight and make a mess of your pots and pans
Surell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:34 PM   #30 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 9
Default

I loved TKOL myself, and would put it above OKC or IR in a second on my Radiohead list (and of course Pablo Honey cuz nobody likes that album!).

I like TKOL but I do not think it is better then OKC. BUT OKC is my fav!
marv007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.