Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The MB Reader > Album Reviews
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2013, 06:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
streetwaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 267
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninetales View Post
This review looks like it has scaruffi fingerprints all over it (not necessarily a bad thing), although i do disagree with your assessment of what constitutes a "true work of art". Albums that are "challenging" will differ completely from listener to listener in that some won't find Can or Pere Ubu's sound challening at all. Saying something is challenging without context could easily just mean an album you didnt like right after the first listen, which could apply to Ok Computer and you.

In other words I doubt that bands like Neu! or Faust would be challenging for you in the sense that they would "turn you off at first" anymore. It doesnt mean you like them any less or that they are any less great.


In regards to OK Computer itself I dont think its amongst the greatest albums ever but it is still really good. I think i rate it similar to OP in the 7/10 range. I can certainly see why its so popular though. It has this sort of a desensitizing feeling to it that might be the perfect album to portray the internet age. It feels more like a refusal to admit guilt than depression. Like an overweight conscience remaining silent. You can do all kinds of terrible things over the internet while hiding in anonymity that it might not even seem like youre doing anything wrong at all. This is what i see in OK Computer. Its the soundtrack to a young internet and all of its loyal followers.
Just for the record, I think Scaruffi's a dick.

Re: challenge, I see what you mean that Can/Ubu type stuff actually isn't challenging to me anymore. With that said, I don't really agree with the comparison. Whereas I maybe disliked a band like Can when I first heard them because I wasn't used to the sound and the things they did on their records, I am used to Radiohead's sound. OK Computer is an album that I think is entirely accessible, and I don't consider it a challenge whatsoever. I actually think as a pop album it's pretty much as solid as you can hope for.
__________________
rateyourmusic
streetwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
Former Vulpix
 
Ninetales's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: livin wild
Posts: 2,127
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetwaves View Post
Just for the record, I think Scaruffi's a dick.

Re: challenge, I see what you mean that Can/Ubu type stuff actually isn't challenging to me anymore. With that said, I don't really agree with the comparison. Whereas I maybe disliked a band like Can when I first heard them because I wasn't used to the sound and the things they did on their records, I am used to Radiohead's sound. OK Computer is an album that I think is entirely accessible, and I don't consider it a challenge whatsoever. I actually think as a pop album it's pretty much as solid as you can hope for.
Haha the scaruffi comment wasnt meant as an insult. i find his tastes interesting and i currently use him as a music source more than any publication (RS, P4k, etc).

and fair enough. I guess i just dont agree that something needs to be "challenging" to be considered great
Ninetales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:32 AM   #13 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
streetwaves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 267
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninetales View Post
Haha the scaruffi comment wasnt meant as an insult. i find his tastes interesting and i currently use him as a music source more than any publication (RS, P4k, etc).

and fair enough. I guess i just dont agree that something needs to be "challenging" to be considered great
No problem. As a source he's fine. He's obviously heard a lot of music and is a decent source for finding more obscure stuff. He's got RS and P4K beaten in that regard by far.

I don't necessarily think it needs to be challenging to be great, but most of the records I think most highly of are on the more challenging side. However, even though I think OK Computer is a very solid pop record, I think there are much better ones that I even do consider to be great despite their poppy-ness (Pet Sounds, Odessey and Oracle, etc). Just don't think OK Computer is one of them.
__________________
rateyourmusic
streetwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:44 AM   #14 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,011
Default

I agree with this review. I like a few songs from OK Computer but never understood all the praise, even when it was new. I really don't understand how it's continued to be so well regarded after all these years.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:02 PM   #15 (permalink)
President spic
 
Justthefacts's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Waxahatchee
Posts: 4,864
Default

The only time I'll ever listen to this record is usually when I'm off my face on marijuana.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkeDaddy View Post
I love how you edited your post to officially out me out of the closet?" It's like you asked yourself if you were a big enough cunt in the post, concluded that you weren't, and added it in to satisfy your postly cunt quota
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
I converted to Islam today.

Allah Supreme.
A Love Supreme.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondo Bungle View Post
saw LeBron James downtown but then I realized I'm just racist
The Best Collection You'll See Today
Justthefacts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 08:24 PM   #16 (permalink)
Groupie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Scotland
Posts: 17
Default

I think a lot of great albums are a product of the time they are written in, and kickstart a shift in popular music.

At that time in the UK, Britpop was the dominant music scene and I think "OK Computer" was one of the albums that took rock music in a different direction in the same way Nirvana or the Sex Pistols did.

Sure, it's a great album, but would it be great if it was released in 1994?

Probably not, but it'd still be good.

Personally, I think there are a lot more great albums released in 1997 that are much better than OK Computer.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, We are Floating in Space"
"Blur"
"The Lonesome Crowded West"
"Homework"
"Brighten the Corners"

And "The Mollusk", which is Ween's best album.
Circus Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:57 PM   #17 (permalink)
Mate, Spawn & Die
 
Janszoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Posts: 24,011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circus Horse View Post
I think a lot of great albums are a product of the time they are written in, and kickstart a shift in popular music.

At that time in the UK, Britpop was the dominant music scene and I think "OK Computer" was one of the albums that took rock music in a different direction in the same way Nirvana or the Sex Pistols did.

Sure, it's a great album, but would it be great if it was released in 1994?

Probably not, but it'd still be good.

Personally, I think there are a lot more great albums released in 1997 that are much better than OK Computer.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, We are Floating in Space"
"Blur"
"The Lonesome Crowded West"
"Homework"
"Brighten the Corners"

And "The Mollusk", which is Ween's best album.
Yes, The Mollusk is a great album. Give me that over OK Computer any day of the week.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by P A N View Post
i'm not gonna spend my life on music banter trying to convince people the earth is flat.
A Night in the Life of the Invisible Man

Time & Place

25 Albums You Should Hear Before the Moon Crashes into the Earth and We All Die


last.fm
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:57 AM   #18 (permalink)
Groupie
 
consumemedia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 36
Default

Honestly I feel that In Rainbows is their finest achievement
__________________
Adam Perlow
Consume Media
Athens, GA
consumemedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:04 PM   #19 (permalink)
President spic
 
Justthefacts's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Waxahatchee
Posts: 4,864
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by consumemedia View Post
Honestly I feel that In Rainbows is their finest achievement
I like you, friend me. It's true.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkeDaddy View Post
I love how you edited your post to officially out me out of the closet?" It's like you asked yourself if you were a big enough cunt in the post, concluded that you weren't, and added it in to satisfy your postly cunt quota
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
I converted to Islam today.

Allah Supreme.
A Love Supreme.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondo Bungle View Post
saw LeBron James downtown but then I realized I'm just racist
The Best Collection You'll See Today
Justthefacts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:07 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master, We Perish
 
Surell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Havin a good time, rollin to the bottom.
Posts: 3,704
Default

NO IT AINT.

but I like TKOL
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhateverDude View Post
Laser beams, psychedelic hats, and for some reason kittens. Surrel reminds me of kittens.
^if you wanna know perfection that's it, you dumb shits
Spoiler for guess what:
|i am a heron i ahev a long neck and i pick fish out of the water w/ my beak if you dont repost this comment on 10 other pages i will fly into your kitchen tonight and make a mess of your pots and pans
Surell is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.