Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The MB Reader > Album Reviews
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2015, 03:01 PM   #21 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
ribbons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 537
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
I don't think that The Beatles have made a perfect album, but if you don't think that any band out there has made the perfect album you might want to change your criteria a bit. I can think of 100 that I would call perfect. It's always different in context, because what may work for a perfect punk record is far different for what's perfect for a classical record.
I'd really like to learn about some of the albums you consider perfect, Frownland. Don't expect you to post the 100, of course, but if you can list just a few, I'd be very interested in listening to them. My criteria are more flexible than they may appear -- I was just sticking up a bit for The Beatles here.
ribbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 03:05 PM   #22 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
ribbons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 537
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Francis View Post
ppl keep saying they never made a perfect album and it's true but in contrast they never made a bad album either.

Their discography as a whole is pretty damn impressive.
lets be honest, as played out as they are they consistently cranked out great songs while evolving as a band, the quality in their music never dropped.

Consistency > Perfection
Totally agree, especially with the bolded.
ribbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 03:17 PM   #23 (permalink)
Remember the underscore
 
Pet_Sounds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: The other side
Posts: 2,329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Francis View Post
ppl keep saying they never made a perfect album and it's true but in contrast they never made a bad album either.

Their discography as a whole is pretty damn impressive.
lets be honest, as played out as they are they consistently cranked out great songs while evolving as a band, the quality in their music never dropped.

Consistency > Perfection


I consider Billy Joel's The Nylon Curtain, The Beach Boys' Pet Sounds, and Panda Bear's Person Pitch perfect albums, as well.

The "perfect" albums aren't necessarily my favourites by the groups, however.
__________________
Everybody's dying just to get the disease
Pet_Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 03:28 PM   #24 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
ribbons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 537
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet_Sounds View Post
Panda Bear's Person Pitch
Great pick! Love that record from start to finish. (And yet, one could say it's overly derivative of The Beach Boys, leading some to judging it as "imperfect".)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pet_Sounds View Post
The "perfect" albums aren't necessarily my favourites by the groups, however.
Same for me. There is often beauty in imperfection. Beauty in the ugliness, and ugliness in the beauty, as someone once wrote about the Velvet Underground's music.
ribbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 03:34 PM   #25 (permalink)
Your FBI Rep
 
Frownland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atop of the Throne
Posts: 29,573
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbons View Post
I'd really like to learn about some of the albums you consider perfect, Frownland. Don't expect you to post the 100, of course, but if you can list just a few, I'd be very interested in listening to them. My criteria are more flexible than they may appear -- I was just sticking up a bit for The Beatles here.
I'll make a quick list with several genres. Here goes:

Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Trout Mask Replica (obv)
John Cage - A String Quartet In Four Parts
Billy Woods - History Will Absolve Me
Ornette Coleman - The Shape of Jazz to Come
The Residents - Duck Stab!
Gang of Four - Entertainment!
John Coltrane - Sun Ship
Kevin Coyne - Marjory Razorblade
Mr. Bungle - Disco Volante

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbons View Post

Same for me. There is often beauty in imperfection. Beauty in the ugliness, and ugliness in the beauty, as someone once wrote about the Velvet Underground's music.
That's kind of the idea that I was going for. An album that serves all of the purposes that it intends to do is what qualifies as a perfect album for me, so long as it sounds good. I listen to a lot of dissonant music so they may not fall under what would be "perfect" for a pop record, but the style fits so cleanly into the group's sound that it can't be anything but perfect for me.
__________________
Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 03:40 PM   #26 (permalink)
Screwed by life
 
Black Francis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: in an abstract house painted silver
Posts: 3,776
Default

If it wasn't for 'Silver' Dolittle would be perfect.

I agree on Pet sounds being perfect.
That album actually helped me in my personal life and i love every song from it.
__________________
"Hey Kids you got to meet the MIGHTY PIXIES!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbRbCtIgW3A
Black Francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 03:46 PM   #27 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
ribbons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 537
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
I'll make a quick list with several genres. Here goes:

Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band - Trout Mask Replica (obv)
John Cage - A String Quartet In Four Parts
Billy Woods - History Will Absolve Me
Ornette Coleman - The Shape of Jazz to Come
The Residents - Duck Stab!
Gang of Four - Entertainment!
John Coltrane - Sun Ship
Kevin Coyne - Marjory Razorblade
Mr. Bungle - Disco Volante
Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbons View Post
Same for me. There is often beauty in imperfection. Beauty in the ugliness, and ugliness in the beauty, as someone once wrote about the Velvet Underground's music.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
That's kind of the idea that I was going for. An album that serves all of the purposes that it intends to do is what qualifies as a perfect album for me, so long as it sounds good. I listen to a lot of dissonant music so they may not fall under what would be "perfect" for a pop record, but the style fits shao cleanly into the group's sound that it can't be anything but perfect for me.
Thanks, Frownland. I've heard Trout Mask Replica, The Shape of Jazz to Come, and Sun Ship and love and revere all three of those albums. Looking forward to the rest, as I do respect your musical knowledge very much. I tend to like the interplay of dissonance with more fluid sounds, and I bet I'll find some of that on those albums. Thanks again for sharing your list, I appreciate it.
ribbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 03:50 PM   #28 (permalink)
 
Plainview's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 721
Default

I'm kind of on board Pet Sounds being perfect. There's something so organic and honest and beautiful about the sound on the album across the board, from the jangly guitar to the amazing harmonies to the interesting and earthy percussion, which all forms together into a great stint of pop-psychedelia. Top song-writing too. It's daring and exciting whilst also being very crisp and smooth in its delivery, which is a difficult line to tread.

Still prefer Revolver though!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadChannel
The overuse of babe/baby, the lack of any sort of discernible originality, the melodrama and the general sense of an especially heinous sort of hardcore vapid stupidity all make me want to jab my eyes out with a drill-press and then hang myself from the CN Tower with an electrified rope that sends shocks in excess of 10,000 volts through my body as I slowly die. While listening to Dream Theater.
Plainview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 03:58 PM   #29 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
ribbons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 537
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plainview View Post
I'm kind of on board Pet Sounds being perfect. There's something so organic and honest and beautiful about the sound on the album across the board, from the jangly guitar to the amazing harmonies to the interesting and earthy percussion, which all forms together into a great stint of pop-psychedelia. Top song-writing too. It's daring and exciting whilst also being very crisp and smooth in its delivery, which is a difficult line to tread.
You just wrote a perfect description. Very well stated and I agree in every respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plainview View Post
Still prefer Revolver though!
You just became even more perfect!
ribbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 04:09 AM   #30 (permalink)
Master, We Perish
 
Surell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Havin a good time, rollin to the bottom.
Posts: 3,704
Default

^ I agree but then i have the issue of an album like SMiLE, especially coupled with Pet Sounds, where just those two alone could do as much or more than as great of output as the Beatles have, regardless of their other releases.

Oh, this was in response to Black Francis' consistency > perfection statement
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhateverDude View Post
Laser beams, psychedelic hats, and for some reason kittens. Surrel reminds me of kittens.
^if you wanna know perfection that's it, you dumb shits
Spoiler for guess what:
|i am a heron i ahev a long neck and i pick fish out of the water w/ my beak if you dont repost this comment on 10 other pages i will fly into your kitchen tonight and make a mess of your pots and pans

Last edited by Surell; 04-09-2015 at 12:53 PM.
Surell is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



© 2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.