Music Banter

Go Back   Music Banter > The MB Reader > Album Reviews
Register Blogging Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Welcome to Music Banter Forum! Make sure to register - it's free and very quick! You have to register before you can post and participate in our discussions with over 70,000 other registered members. After you create your free account, you will be able to customize many options, you will have the full access to over 1,100,000 posts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2015, 01:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
ReadyMadeFour64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Downers Grove, IL
Posts: 159
Default Primus "Charlie And The Chocolate Factory"

Ok. I forgot about this album on my "worst albums of 2014" list. Primus is one of those bands that I love, yet they are goofy and kinda weird. (Ex. They Might Be Giants) So when I heard Primus would cover the songs from the great movie "Willy Wonka And The Charlie Factory, I thought it would be goofy yet fun.

This album is horrible. It's horrendous. The guitar sounds wonky, and if that was the point, it doesn't work. It sounds way too ridiculous. I can't hear any good drumming on this album. Know why? Because Les Claypool's bass and vocal parts are too loud. It takes you out of the music and seems to slap you in the face. It is so bad.

I can't really talk about lyrics, because it is a cover album. I would have to hate the original. I really don't hate the songs. In fact, one of my favorite songs is a cover from the album. It is "Pure Imagination" done by the Smoking Popes. It is great.

Primus just didn't want to make a good album, they wanted to make a "concept album." I say that very loosely. Also, it was probably to get another tour going.

I'm not happy with the album, nor should you. I don't know one person who can enjoy this. This would probably be #1 if I thought about it more.

1/5
__________________
My Music Label:
https://6stringrecords.bandcamp.com/

Label Website:

My Music Blog and Other Music Stuff:
https://sites.google.com/site/readymademusicarchive/

Twitter: ThisIsReadyade
Instagram: ReadyMadeFour64
YouTube: ThisIs ReadyMade
Music Channel: ReadyMade Reviews
ReadyMadeFour64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 01:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Key
hi
 
Key's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 12,320
Default

Are you ever gonna stop making pointless threads?
__________________

CWH
Key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 01:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
ReadyMadeFour64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Downers Grove, IL
Posts: 159
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki View Post
Are you ever gonna stop making pointless threads?
Pointless? I'm just reviewing an album here.

You don't have to like it, but don't come arguing back. I could make a comment like, "Are you ever gonna stop making hate comments?"

You don't have to just go on my reviews just to argue. Just saying...
__________________
My Music Label:
https://6stringrecords.bandcamp.com/

Label Website:

My Music Blog and Other Music Stuff:
https://sites.google.com/site/readymademusicarchive/

Twitter: ThisIsReadyade
Instagram: ReadyMadeFour64
YouTube: ThisIs ReadyMade
Music Channel: ReadyMade Reviews
ReadyMadeFour64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Primo Celebate Sexiness
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 2,662
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyMadeFour64 View Post
I'm not happy with the album, nor should you. I don't know one person who can enjoy this. This would probably be #1 if I thought about it more.
You should get to know Grungeman.
JGuy Grungeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 05:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Aloysius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ki View Post
Are you ever gonna stop making pointless threads?
It's not pointless - it's a warning to others not to bother listening to this album, so ReadyMade is doing a great community service there. I was going to review this for the same reason, I'm glad I don't have now. I say all that as a big primus (in their heyday) fan btw.
Aloysius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 06:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
Terrapin_Station's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: NYC Man
Posts: 791
Default

Do you like The Residents at all? In my opinion Primus' Charlie & the Chocolate Factory is very much in the spirit of The Residents. I like both a lot.
Terrapin_Station is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 09:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
Primo Celebate Sexiness
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 2,662
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloysius View Post
It's not pointless - it's a warning to others not to bother listening to this album, so ReadyMade is doing a great community service there. I was going to review this for the same reason, I'm glad I don't have now. I say all that as a big primus (in their heyday) fan btw.


I disagree. I thought the album's strange music and concept combination made it better than it had any right to be.
JGuy Grungeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Music Addict
 
ReadyMadeFour64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Downers Grove, IL
Posts: 159
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloysius View Post
It's not pointless - it's a warning to others not to bother listening to this album, so ReadyMade is doing a great community service there. I was going to review this for the same reason, I'm glad I don't have now. I say all that as a big primus (in their heyday) fan btw.
Thanks for defending me!
__________________
My Music Label:
https://6stringrecords.bandcamp.com/

Label Website:

My Music Blog and Other Music Stuff:
https://sites.google.com/site/readymademusicarchive/

Twitter: ThisIsReadyade
Instagram: ReadyMadeFour64
YouTube: ThisIs ReadyMade
Music Channel: ReadyMade Reviews
ReadyMadeFour64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



2003-2019 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.2 ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.